Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilting frame >
  • quilting frame

• quilting frame

Old 04-08-2013, 02:10 PM

Default quilting frame

I am new at quilting and am working with a group at my mobile home park. We would like to have a quilting frame that we can use to hand quilt out project. Would anyone know where I can get plans to make one. Thanks
    Old 04-08-2013, 02:55 PM

Ebay? I think I have seen them there. Do a google search too, you might find something.
    Old 04-08-2013, 02:57 PM
    Power Poster

Are you looking for a frame big enough for all of you to sit around? If so a low cost frame can be made by 1X3 lumber and 4 C clamps. You staple a sturdy leader strip of fabric to 2 of the bars for pinning the quilt back to and stretch the backing fabric and C clamp the other to bars on to firm a large square. Put the square up on the backs of 4 chairs and you are ready to lay on the batt and top. Pin the top to the cloth leaders and adjust the C clamps so that the whole sandwich is taut. Start quilting on the leader sides and roll the quilt around the 1 X 3 as you want to advance.
    If you want a smaller, handier frame for only one to two people, buy a Q Snap frame with a 50% Joanne coupon.
    Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM

The Q snap is lightweight and easy to put up and take down..I find the hard part of it is that I like to quilt from all angles and it is hard to maneauver on the Q snap
    Old 04-08-2013, 03:38 PM

Check out Craigslist as well. I'm quite surprised with the number of quilting frames (both hand and machine) that I see there. Or freecycle. Another surprising source.
    Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM
    yel

where are you located ??? there are lots of them in this area
    Old 04-08-2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Are you looking for a frame big enough for all of you to sit around? If so a low cost frame can be made by 1X3 lumber and 4 C clamps. You staple a sturdy leader strip of fabric to 2 of the bars for pinning the quilt back to and stretch the backing fabric and C clamp the other to bars on to firm a large square. Put the square up on the backs of 4 chairs and you are ready to lay on the batt and top. Pin the top to the cloth leaders and adjust the C clamps so that the whole sandwich is taut. Start quilting on the leader sides and roll the quilt around the 1 X 3 as you want to advance.
    If you want a smaller, handier frame for only one to two people, buy a Q Snap frame with a 50% Joanne coupon.
    My mothe and I used this method for tieing all of our quilts years ago works well. It would work well for hand quilting too. Just don't use to firm a weave fabric like good muslin or old sheeting as you can't pin thru it we learned the hard way. Use a looser weave for your leader fabric and use 2-3 thickness of it.