Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting Frame

Blog Entries
    I have decided that I need a small quilting frame. I think I have room to set up and since I see in my crystal ball that I will be quilting until I can't anymore, I would like a small frame. Where can I get one at a good price?
    Thanks
    Rita

I like my Q-snap. It is very easy to use, doesn't take up much room and you can get it at JoAnn's for under $100. I love to hand quilt and this is perfect for me.

Do you want to machine quilt or hand quilt?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    Do you want to machine quilt or hand quilt?
    I haven't gotten into hand quilting and probably won't. I would like to use the frame for tieing.

Your local lumber yard is a reasonable priced option. Buy 4 each 1x2 boards, preferably hardwood. Wrap with fabric strips, leaving a flap to pin to. 4 large C clamps will hold your boards together at the corners. This is how my DGM made hers, now mine, about 100 years ago. I have made my own smaller versions to do baby quilts, and plan to make a king size set the same way in the near future.

Search "Louise C" (a member on this board) She posted a picture of an interesting frame. Looks like it could be set up for different size quilts, and stored easly. It is in the picture section, and title is "My new quilting frame" or something close to that.

Blog Entries
    I made my own with plastic pipe. They sell fences right down the road from where I live. It looks just like the one at Joanns fabric but only $15.00

Blog Entries
    I have one of these too. Great for handquilting.
    Quote Originally Posted by joan_quilts
    I like my Q-snap. It is very easy to use, doesn't take up much room and you can get it at JoAnn's for under $100. I love to hand quilt and this is perfect for me.
    :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Bren49
    I made my own with plastic pipe. They sell fences right down the road from where I live. It looks just like the one at Joanns fabric but only $15.00
    So, tell us what you did, maybe post a picture? I'm intriqued with the Qsnap, but seems a little spendy for a few pipes...

Blog Entries
    I measured all the pipes at 40 inches and looked at the picture, got the y;s and corner pieces, and put it together.