Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting Friend's Retirement

Quilting Friend's Retirement

My friend is retiring from her job as a lab technician, and I'm trying to find ideas for a quilt related theme for her retirement party, and ideas for a wall hanging that would be an appropriate for a gift. Help please!
    Husker Barb

How about a quilt that is not themed?? Just lovely colors in a quilt that she could use all over her house?

delma

having just retired i would prefer a quilt unrelated to what my profession was but more about my interests -colours i like -pets -music etc--- a signature quilt/wall hanging also would be great i have a huge card signed with messages i will always treasure--my work mates made a collection and gave me a voucher for a joanns equivalent so i could in their words feed my addiction--and i have done just that
    Last edited by jemma; 11-15-2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: ditracted

Blog Entries
    Also, you could prepare blocks for a signature quilt that the attendees could sign, then piece them into a quilt after the party.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

How thoughtful of you to do this for your friend!

I agree with PaperPrincess... a signature quilt would be a very thoughtful gift.
    As for quilt related party theme decorations... you could ask co-workers to bring their favorite quilt to display, maybe as table covers. Or create centerpieces made with fat quarters in baskets. Then give the fat quarters to the retiree.

That's all I can think of this early...

Quote Originally Posted by jemma View Post
    having just retired i would prefer a quilt unrelated to what my profession was but more about my interests -colours i like -pets -music etc--- a signature quilt/wall hanging also would be great i have a huge card signed with messages i will always treasure--my work mates made a collection and gave me a voucher for a joanns equivalent so i could in their words feed my addiction--and i have done just that
    I agree with jemma, I am retired also. I would prefer something unrelated to my job. Something maybe about the friends I had made but not the job itself.

Blog Entries
    Yes I agree about making it more about her interests or color favorites. Also everyone could bring a fat quarter say in solid colors and they could be folded into flowers (the kind we used to make for school floats with tissue paper) for a bouquet she could "pick" as needed. A fabric cake could also be made from the solids like the one made for baby showers from disposable diapers.
    Joyce