Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stashing for retirement >

Stashing for retirement

Stashing for retirement

Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 AM

I still have 10 yrs or so before retiremnet. I purchased a couple of machines, software, etc now while I'm stilling work because when retirement comes I have the feeling all will go towards living. My question is as long as fabric and thread are not in sunlight and packed correctly to keep out unwanted varmits, will they last. I'm especially concerned about threads. I have found a kit I really like and would like to add it to my collection of desirables. I would use it now but not that often. Would my thread still be good say in ten years.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 AM

I think as long as your fabric & thread are stored properly, they should last for years. Out of the light, moisture & bugs etc.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:51 AM

I really don't know the answer but when we sew a quilt together and it lasts for 50+ years, I would hope the thread would hold up as well.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:19 AM

That was my thoughts. I know if you leave a piece of fabric (like a blouse,etc) in the sun or the elements it will rot. I have a shirt I made our first son 35 yrs ago and it still looks as good as the day I made it. I keep in a drawer. It never sees daylight. We had another son 4 yrs later and had his picture made in it just like the first one. The boys were about the same age (10 months) and holding a baseball in front of them. That is the only reason I have kept the shirt.
Do you think being wrapped around a spool would shortened the life span of the thread. Also if you had a piece of fabric folded for many years do you think the fold (crease) would become permanant? That really doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't distort the colors, I can work around a crease.

Curosity question: What is the longest time you have held on to a piece of fabric? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 AM

I have been given thread that is old and it was all fine, and then other that was not . its all storage :D
Old 06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by okie
Curosity question: What is the longest time you have held on to a piece of fabric? Inquiring minds want to know!
I have a piece of silk my uncle brought back from Japan for my mother. i don't know exactly when, but i know it's older than i am. i don't have the heart to cut into it. i just take it out once in a while to admire it and remember mom.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 AM

Stashing for retirement? What a great idea! Like a fabric 401K. Love it! I'll get "saving" right away!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:25 AM

oh man..........

I don't mean to discourage or depress you, but I have spent the last couple of days packaging and pricing thousands of dollars of quilting fabric for a yard sale. Wanna buy $50 worth of quilt fabric for $2? Come to Burlington, WI next weekend. My friend, Dianne, was a fabric stasher. When she died of breast cancer a year ago, she left a HUGE amount of fabric and half-finished projects. Sorting through all of it and finishing some of it was something I am uniquely qualified to do - there really isn't anyone else to do it!

Dealing with this over the past year has really changed my heart about stashing fabric (or hoarding anything at all.)

If you have money to spend on fabric now, but it into a good mutual fund (12% is a decent and not unattainable rate of return). Then you can go shopping after you retire.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:44 AM

Cathe, so sorry for your loss. You're a good friend to take care of everything. We're just joking about stashing for retirement, but I bet it did hit close to your heart. Good luck with the fabric sale. I'm sure you'll find good homes for every piece.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 AM

LOL - I dont' really mean to be a wet blanket. But really, won't it be fun to shop at leisure once you are retired????