Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quilting leaders

Blog Entries

quilting leaders

I have been reading the posts about making my own leaders. I'd like to use pillow ticking, but it only comes in 30 inch widths. Wouldn't this have the strips going sidesways in order to use for a king size frame. Any suggestions.
    True4uca

I think the stripes run parallel to the selvages (I could be wrong) so you'd need to buy the length you need.

You always buy the length to fit on your poles. If it's 60" width you might be able to get all 3 leaders by cutting it lengthwise. With 30" fabric you can get two leaders out of one length.

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    check out sharon schamber's leaders with velcro.... I will be doing this when i have to replace my leaders again.... i have the zippers now but i will move to velcro...

Before you switch to velcro check out this quilt loading system: http://quiltsonthecorner.com/ This system is fast and holds the quilt evenly and tightly. Great system.

Quote Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
    I think the stripes run parallel to the selvages (I could be wrong) so you'd need to buy the length you need.
    ksdot is correct. buy the LENGTH you need. You will be cutting it up for the different poles anyway. I would suggest you check out the 2 different non-pinning loading systems before you decide on velcro or zippers. I have the Red Snappers, but my friend has the Leader grips. We are both happy with what we have! No more poking with pins and I can load a large quilt in about 15 mins. HEAVEN!
    http://leadergrips.com/
    http://quiltsonthecorner.com/red_snappers
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    My jaw just hit the floor. I am thinking about doing a mod on my hand quilting frame to accomodate something like this. No pins would be so cool.

I tried velcro (too much work sewing the quilt top and back onto the leaders), went back to pins (got pretty fast them, but always got poked at least once per quilt), and now am using Red Snappers. They're also not perfect, but I think I'll stick with them for a while.