Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Zippered Quilting Machine Leaders >

Zippered Quilting Machine Leaders

Zippered Quilting Machine Leaders

Old 01-18-2019, 12:45 PM

Default Zippered Quilting Machine Leaders

I have a small HQ Little Foot frame with an HQ Simply 16. I've tried pins...ouch! And the "poor man's" version of red snappers...clumsy. And now I think I would like to make some zipped leaders. Have any of you made your own zippered leaders? If so, what type of zipper did you get and were they slightly longer than the leader bars? I ordered two 60" plastic separating zippers for my 6' frame, but they actually measured 63". Also what kind of fabric did you use to make your leaders? Thanks for any help you may provide.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

I have not made my own leaders. I bought ones made of heavy duck/canvas and I use the Red Snappers to load the quilt. Before going that route, I made short leaders that attached to the longer ones with Velcro, the same idea as using zippers but easier to make and adjust. However - after using those for a few quilts I decided that I did not like having to baste the quilt back to the leaders! That was a lot more work than pinning. I then bought Red Snappers and have been totally happy with that solution. (I also tried the poor man's version - not nearly as good.)
Old 01-18-2019, 03:29 PM

I have Leadergrips (they're like Red Snappers) and love them. I think you'd prefer their ease of use to zippered leaders.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:38 AM

Lyric Girl, there is a "third bar" that one can purchase for the Little Ft frame and attaches to a bracket behind and a few inches above the back bar and comes with a leader that is velcroed to the bar and then you can pin the backing to the other edge. I also attached another "bar" (pvc pipe) to just below the from bar of the frame and duplicated the 3rd bar leader. I don't don't like getting stuck with pins and my version of the red snappers just added bulk and loading difficulty.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:38 PM

I have a Gammell longarm machine that came with canvas leaders. I got zippers from this
online store: http://stores.longarmconnection.com/quick-zip-system/ . I love the zippers as I can sit and put on and take off the zippers that are on the quilt. If you get the basic set you can then get the "renter" set so you can alternate between different quilts if you want. You have to sew the zippers to your leaders but they give you great instructions and you only do it once.
I'm sure you could google how to make your own leaders. Mine are attached to the bars with a very heavy duty tape. Oh, and you can get the safety pins from that website too and definitely get a tool that helps you release the pins on the leaders(bottom of quilt, etc).

Last edited by selm; 01-19-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
I have a Gammell longarm machine that came with canvas leaders. I got zippers from this
online store: http://stores.longarmconnection.com/quick-zip-system/ . I love the zippers as I can sit and put on and take off the zippers that are on the quilt. If you get the basic set you can then get the "renter" set so you can alternate between different quilts if you want. You have to sew the zippers to your leaders but they give you great instructions and you only do it once.
I'm sure you could google how to make your own leaders. Mine are attached to the bars with a very heavy duty tape. Oh, and you can get the safety pins from that website too and definitely get a tool that helps you release the pins on the leaders(bottom of quilt, etc).
These zippers are FABULOUS! I own two sets which I can pin, and have two quilts ready at the same time. This also leaves you the option of unzipping one quilt from the frame to load a second quilt and then go back to the first if needed. This company is also where I purchased my new Amara w/PSP. You can’t aske for a better dealer! Good luck!
Old 01-20-2019, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have not made my own leaders. I bought ones made of heavy duck/canvas and I use the Red Snappers to load the quilt. Before going that route, I made short leaders that attached to the longer ones with Velcro, the same idea as using zippers but easier to make and adjust. However - after using those for a few quilts I decided that I did not like having to baste the quilt back to the leaders! That was a lot more work than pinning. I then bought Red Snappers and have been totally happy with that solution. (I also tried the poor man's version - not nearly as good.)
Me too. Red Snappers from Nancy's Notions.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:38 AM

I have an A1 long arm and I have made several sets of zippered leaders. I sewed the zipper to the attached leader and then put about 10" of lightweight duck canvas on the other leader and attached with the zipper. Now, I staple my quilts to the leader. No pins and they come off easy. The staples make holes in the leader but they last at least a year and then I just make a deeper hem and keep on going. PM me if you want further instructions.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lv2FMQ View Post
I have a small HQ Little Foot frame with an HQ Simply 16. I've tried pins...ouch! And the "poor man's" version of red snappers...clumsy. And now I think I would like to make some zipped leaders. Have any of you made your own zippered leaders? If so, what type of zipper did you get and were they slightly longer than the leader bars? I ordered two 60" plastic separating zippers for my 6' frame, but they actually measured 63". Also what kind of fabric did you use to make your leaders? Thanks for any help you may provide.
I just sent you a PM about something you might find interesting.