Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting for money >

Quilting for money

Quilting for money

Old 08-26-2011, 07:49 AM

I've seen this sentiment expressed before- "When you start quilting for money it stops being fun". Why? There are plenty of ladies who are doing this for money and seem to enjoy it immensely!

What specifically would make it not fun for you anymore?
Old 08-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Because it becomes more like a job and I feel like a factory producing the same things over and over and then if there is a deadline, person who had a different vision for the product than what it turned out to be. I did this when we lived overseas to help with the fact our $$$ was less valuable than the yen and it became more of a headache than a relaxing hobby.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 AM

For me anyway, anything that puts a 'demand' on my time turns into a j-o-b. Not saying that I'd rather not quilt for a living vs pushing paper all day. But I think, it would turn my relaxing hobby into, well, a job and I'd have to find another hobby if I were quilting for a living. When I'm quilting (hobby) now, if I make an error, I don't stress, if I don't meet a deadline, I don't stress, it's strictly for my enjoyment and relaxation, no directives to deal with. But with that being said, if I felt I could make a decent living at it, I would darn sure give it a try, and just find another hobby to relax with.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:01 AM

I sold some purses last year (about 15 of them) that I made, and this year one of the ladies asked me to make 2 more. I did, but I am tired of making them, so when she asked for another 2, I told her I am just too busy right now. I do get burned out making the same thing over and over...but the making money part doesn't make it boring for me. It makes it kind of interesting, because I make quilts to fit other people's tastes rather than my own. It opens my horizons to other colors and patterns I wouldn't have picked.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 AM

I think if it's items you've already made and not special requests it's still fun.

But when you have to makes something on someone elses terms, colors and time schedule it's not fun and becomes a job.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:22 AM

I quilted for money for years and it was fun, especially as I sat on the porch Monday morning and watched everyone else rush off to work. However, most of the time, I made what I wanted to. If I had been contracted to make 12 dozen of the same item, I agree, no fun.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:27 AM

It becomes "uniform" in my thinking.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 AM

I see no problem at all with getting paid for doing something you love. Sounds ideal to me. Deadlines don't have to cause stress, nor does working within guidelines....most people deal with both quite easily every day of their lives.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Banned

I just took my first FMQ for hire. I agree it isn't fun. I was excited to see how pretty it's coming out but she wants small curls so each side to side it about 20 minutes and she needs asap so I have to work on whether I'm tired after work or not. Also the stress of not making a mistake is terrible. For firends if I mess up I'll just make you a new one - but I'd never do this for a living. My hats off to those that do. I have one job and need fun not another one.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I just took my first FMQ for hire. I agree it isn't fun. I was excited to see how pretty it's coming out but she wants small curls so each side to side it about 20 minutes and she needs asap so I have to work on whether I'm tired after work or not. Also the stress of not making a mistake is terrible. For firends if I mess up I'll just make you a new one - but I'd never do this for a living. My hats off to those that do. I have one job and need fun not another one.
DITTO... my hats off to those ladies and gents that do longarming for a living, for others. All I know is, I stress til the last stitch is in, quilting my own tops. I couldn't even begin to imagine the mental delima I'd work myself into if quilting someone else's original creation.