Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting for money >

Quilting for money

Quilting for money

Old 08-26-2011, 03:24 PM

for me, i love quilting and i'm thrilled that i can make enough money to support my family by doing so.

the only downside for me is the money management aspect of it - i've never enjoy accounting but its part of running a business so it must be done.

also even though i'm a quilter i only own 1 quilt personally - very rarely do i have time to make something for myself (this seems to be common even with quilters that don't earn a living from their art).

i do wish i could have more time to make things for me but i guess i'll have to wait until i retire to do things for myself.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:08 PM

The part that isn't fun for me is not being able to sell stuff! :)
Old 08-26-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the process itself may remain enjoyable-but as your business grows you may find that you no longer have time to do anything of your own-never get to make a quilt because you are spending all your time working on other peoples quilts- so-if you enjoy the process of creating- you loose that- if the quilting is the part you enjoy the most and you are not all that into making your own- then it may stay enjoyable for longer-
there is always the stress of someone being unhappy with what you did to their quilt- and it can become more of a job than any 8 hour job you leave home to---and it is no longer your hobby-it is now you JOB and you have to go to work===feel like it or not- in order to keep up and keep your customers happy-
like any (self-employed) person- you have to do paperwork- keep good records make your customers happy- and at times (like leading up to the holidays) when you are working 12-16 hours a day-
then there is the stress of machine maintenance- organizing-time management-
and those people who think you don't really do anything - you sit home all day- when actually you are spending hours on your feet- shoulders, back, knees, wrists all take a beating- it is a labor intensive JOB and you have to make yourself----whether you feel like quilting or not- if you have accepted customer quilts you have to do them-
there is also insurance- and the stress of disaster happening---keeping kids and pets away- just lots of things that are not part of it at all-if you are just doing it for yourself because you enjoy it-
so, yes- the fun certainly changes when it is no longer your favorite pass-time and is now YOUR JOB.
EXACTLY!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
Because it becomes more like a job and I feel like a factory producing the same things over and over and then if there is a deadline, person who had a different vision for the product than what it turned out to be. I did this when we lived overseas to help with the fact our $$$ was less valuable than the yen and it became more of a headache than a relaxing hobby.
I agree wholeheartedly....I like to quilt to relax and enjoy the process too :D
Old 08-27-2011, 03:08 AM
tmg

I don't like the deadlines. The presser that is put on me to get it done. It is to much like a job.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:48 AM

I used to not want to quilt for money because I felt like it took SO long for me to make a quilt for myself, that by the time I was done I wouldn't want to give it up! I have been quilting for a long time now though, and I do A LOT of sewing, so making simple quilts goes much faster for me. I have begun selling some small items on Etsy, small quilts, and that seems to work well for me. I think setting boundaries with customers and feeling comfortable with those boundaries helps too. People who are not quilters have NO idea what is a complicated or easy quilt, and to ask them to pick what they want you to make...well sometimes people come up with CRAZY ideas! Lol* Some of those crazy wild ideas are great ideas too - but they have no concept of what it costs to make a quilt or what kind of time goes into it. So if you set a limit...like, I will make you a chinese coin, nine patch, or bow tie of this size with these fabrics for this price...that makes life a little easier. :)
Old 08-27-2011, 04:05 AM

Deadlines, special requests, pressure to be "perfect", concern that client won't be happy with your beautiful work, etc, etc, etc,
I've overcome this by only offering completed quilts "for sale". If they buy it they know exactly what they're getting.
I don't sell very many, usually by "word of mouth" and I'll get a call asking for pic (email) of what I have available for sale.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:46 AM

I have made quilts for money and I found it's the dead lines that some people want a quilt in is too short and they get upset when you tell them you don't sew 20 hours a day so please do not ask if I can make a king size quilt in 3 days!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:00 AM

I love it, I love getting the quilt tops and then seeing the end result and how much more beautiful the tops look once they are quilted. I also love seeing the customer's face when they get their finished quilt. It is a little stressful, hoping the client likes what you have done but in the end, my clients have been very happy.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:08 AM

I owned a commercial embroidery business for 15 years. Same problems just a different medium. I didn't sew any quilts or even read a book for 15 years and the thought or even the mention of embroidery makes me nauseous. I have given thought to doing some sewing for sale then I just think embroidery and that puts an end to that thought. I admire people who can do this for a living. right now I'll just personal sew.