Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE >

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

QUILTING FOR OTHERS ADVICE

Old 08-21-2011, 05:36 PM

Whoever it was that was quilting was doing it for penny's
No way would I do it for that price.... She prob retired for she was working to had for the penny's she was making.

There are a lot of LA quilter rates on the internet. Just don't do for nothing.

Happy Quilting
Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 PM

Whoever it was that was quilting was doing it for penny's
No way would I do it for that price.... She prob retired for she was working to had for the penny's she was making.

There are a lot of LA quilter rates on the internet. Just don't do for nothing.

Happy Quilting
Old 08-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
hmm, age differential? I'm 55 & went I started sewing, stamps were 5¢. Fabric was under $1/yc. Are these older ladies?

Your obligation is to you, your family & your equipment. Do your research, write up a price list. Until you know what you charge, just say, I'm still researching, I will get back to you.

Self employed people need to make a living wage, enough to pay social security (was 15.3%, but FICA ee went down), state, federal taxes, supplies, for VACATIONS, RETIREMENT and EQUIPMENT. If you are worth $15, so is your machine, and that is $30 per hour. lol - can you tell what I do for a living? (accounting)
LOL I work for an accounting and investment firm as well.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dawn227
Good Morning,

First off I love both the top and third quilts. They are both my colors.

As far as quilting for practally nothing, these ladies should know how long it takes to make their quilts. Ask them "Would they make them for someone for the price they can buy one at discount store"?
If they get snotty you do not want their business anyway. They would only critize.

Don't let it bother you. There is always a learning curve take your time practice with your and your friends quilts for now. Maybe down the road when you feel more confident. It sounds like you try for perfection. That is wonderful. I always try for that as well.

I have an embroidery machine people see them demonstrated and when ask for a complicated design they say well you on'y push a button and it does it all for you! NOT true. I just don't worry about it and politely tell them I am not interested but I know a couple professional embroidery stores that they can try.

Dawn NY
I know what you mean on the embroidery. I made my sister a lorilee school bus design. 84 thread changes. I eventually sold the machine.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:44 AM

Sorry i am not a long armer pro, but i have a long arm that i do(with the computer) my own quilts and it just takes a good time and a lot of work to quilt, and that is just not worth it.
I still send out the king size ones to someone who i consider very reasonably priced because she adds $20 to the length of the king size, so my finished top of 115x115 for example will cost me $135, and that i consider really fair compared to others.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Banned

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice. I read all the responses several times Saturday and went and talked to LSQ owners sister as she has long arm business in shop. I do not do all the fancy stitches like she does and have no where near the machine she does and only quilt for people I know so she was very nice to give me advice without worrying I would take customers. She said the same as all of you on top of reminding me "it's a hobby". I have a full time job. So after thinking about it I will be meeting my weekly group tomorrow and letting them know the prices I gave are for them only. My charge is .01 per inch and .015 for very detailed things like the small curls. I also will charge $3 for thread or they can supply. Backing and batting is not included and if I have to seam and/or square backing I charge $10 additional. All of your kind advice remided me that I quilt to escape the stress of a job that spends all day in the stock market and taxes. Minimum job is $40. With the economy the way it is my stress doesn't need to come into my hobby. Yes the extra jobs will help pay off the machine quicker but I am not in a hurry. My frame and machine combo was purchased by a friend that saw it demo'd. She called and said I know you've always wanted I'll order and pay me next year when I retire. I was truly blessed by her friendship but doesn't mean I have to devalue my work.

Again thank you all for the advice it is truly appreciated.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 AM

To give you some comparison, my aunt in Kansas charged $50 for full size quilts all over pantagraph, no speical quilting 35 years ago and had a lot of business. And even then she complained she wasn't charging enough-she provided the poly batting- the customer had to provide the backing.

Good think you have some resources to check with on pricing. Maybe you could rent time on your machine for those to quilt-maybe $30 an hour?

Do not under value your work. It will come back to haunt you, it will sap the joy out of quilting and then you'll still get demanding people who aren't happy with the work you've done.

"No" is such a freeing word.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 AM

I am late in this and seldom quilt for others--BUT I try to price it so I make $20 an hour. If that is too much for some, they are free to go elsewhere. I really do not want a business as I already have a part time job. I quilt for fun. I have one steady client. I also charge for batting but not thread.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 AM

Hi, I know FMQ is more work than tying. But I have been tying doubleknit quilts that no body wants to do and I change no less than $100.00 they are a lot of work. To FmQ it is more work. I would change from $125.00 to $175.00 and no less be it twin, queen or king. I am glad you put this on here. Maria
Old 08-22-2011, 01:40 PM

When I first started LAQing I had a customer bring me a top and when I quoted her my price she got really huffy and informed me that so and so would quilt it for $35.00 AND include the batting. I told her that I was so sorry(right!) and that I was sure she probably would like to take it back to so and so. It left my house unquilted. I may be cheap, but I ain't easy!!