Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice from Florida Quilters or others >

Advice from Florida Quilters or others

Advice from Florida Quilters or others

Old 10-02-2016, 09:14 PM

Default Advice from Florida Quilters or others

Hello quilters. we are visiting your warm and sunny state in December and would love some advice on quilt shops. i have one day alone (hubby fishing) and a rental car and a need to visit quilt shops. any advice on one that i should not miss. we will be around the Miami area for a week, so excited to see new quilt shops.

also, any advice on great eats places or fun attractions to do?? thanks so much.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-03-2016 at 02:58 AM. Reason: remove PII
Old 10-03-2016, 03:30 AM

The Quilt Place in Rockledge, Florida is a great quilt shop. Well worth the visit - beautiful fabric and extremely helpful staff.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:26 AM

Be sure to check out QuiltingHub.com for shops also the Row by Row Experience (even though it is over) for shops. I'm at the opposite end of the state so can't advise but, both sites provide up to date information. The only thing I found in the Row by Row experience is that there are shops that participate that aren't really Quilting Shops, some seem to specialize in Children's clothing and selling machines. Yes they have bolts of fabric but not really Quilting fabrics more batistes and laces.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:18 AM

Just welcoming you to Florida , I am in central florida, the worthy shops here are too far for a day trip. Rainbows end in Dunedin, Rockledge, Maitland sewing center, are all very far for a daytrip. We recently visited your beautiful state, and spend a week in the Olympic National Park. I went to a cute quilt shop in Poulsbo. You may want to Google for quilt shops in the Miami area, I think for us quilters all quilt shops are nice and exciting. Enjoy your stay
Old 10-04-2016, 06:18 AM

For places to eat: Joe's Stone Crab, check before you go, it is open seasonly(Stone Crab season). Houston's in Pompano Beach is a favorite of mine. I Love the Pompano Beach area.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:10 AM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

There are two quilt shops in the Fort Lauderdale area. Be sure to visit Once Upon A Quilt on Griffin Road, several miles west of I95 and Sunshine Quilting in Margate. Be sure to map quest/gps Sunshine. She's hidden in a business park but well worth the visit. http://www.sunshinesewing.com/
Old 10-04-2016, 08:31 AM

thank you all for your advice. appreciate it. first time in Florida.. we are excited.. Jyll
Old 10-04-2016, 08:34 AM

hope you enjoyed your time in WA state. the Olympic NP is gorgeous and i hope we provided some sunny days for you, cause i am in Olympia, but the bluest skys are in WA state.. Pouslbo is a cute town and love Material Girls.. we have a shop hop once a year, so i get there at least once a year! thanks for your advice.. take care. Jyll
Old 10-04-2016, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by baskets4moo View Post
There are two quilt shops in the Fort Lauderdale area. Be sure to visit Once Upon A Quilt on Griffin Road, several miles west of I95 and Sunshine Quilting in Margate. Be sure to map quest/gps Sunshine. She's hidden in a business park but well worth the visit. http://www.sunshinesewing.com/
If you go to Once Upon a Quilt be prepared for some very rude people.A lot of the ladies in the quilt guild that I belonged to refused to go there.My experience with them wasn't pleasant,but the shop is nice.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:10 PM

I spend quite a lot of time in Miami and would like to suggest trying Cuban food. My favorite Cuban restaurant is Versailles in Little Havana. Very popular. In fact one of the candidates were there in the past week or so.
Enjoy your trip.