Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Pencils >
  • Quilting Pencils

• Quilting Pencils

Old 08-16-2008, 05:35 PM

Hi, I bought a package of quilting pencils, colors are white, blue and pink. Do they come of the fabric easy or are the marks hard to get of the quilt??
    Old 08-16-2008, 05:55 PM

the ones i use come off when i wash my quilt i have used a purple one on white material one time i let a quilt top set so long it dissappeared before i washed it !!!!
    Old 08-16-2008, 08:47 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Hi craftybut,
    Just had this "conversation" about guide lines with Mary on topic
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/15/10288.page

This was her following remark:

Ellen, it wasn't a pencil. It was chalk pounce. I have used the white chalk pounce before and it comes off when you iron it. I like it a lot, but the blue chalk is supposed to come off with a wet rag and it didn't.

I use the mark B gone washable pen and it works great and does come right out when you spritz it with water.

Mary

Good luck to you.. I too am needing guidence !

Ellen
    Old 08-16-2008, 10:00 PM
    Banned

Hi , those colored pencils are ok if your lead doesn't keep breaking ! I have had the hardest time with marking pencils . I use the blue water erase markers on light colored fabrics but haven't found anything good for dark fabrics . Chalk comes off very easily , had if come off before design was done . Good luck . Annie
    Old 08-17-2008, 04:41 AM
    Banned

the only thing I've found for dark fabric is the slivers of soap that are left when the bar is almost gone and it has the sharp edges on it. Those work well for doing small areas as you go. I grab them out of the shower when they are dry and toss into a box. Oh yeah, those pencils are infuriating when the lead keeps breaking. I'm going to try a mechanical pencil with white or yellow lead on my current project.
    Old 08-17-2008, 05:29 AM

I bought quilt pencils about a month ago. Because the lead inside they are very brittle and it keeps breaking out, sometimes before you can even get a sharpened point on them. My pack had yellow (which is great on red), white, and grey, and they have all been sharpened to small little stubbies. I don't know what a better is, but I'd like my marking device to last me more than one quilt. Oh and you have to mark it a couple of times for it to be dark enough to see. A friend warned me that she had that trouble with them years ago, I would have thought they would have fixed the flaw but no.

My pencils had erasers on the ends, and that took the marks of no problems. It's supposed to come off in water too, but I haven't washed it yet.

Hope you have better luck! :)
    Old 08-17-2008, 05:55 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Craftybug
    Hi, I bought a package of quilting pencils, colors are white, blue and pink. Do they come of the fabric easy or are the marks hard to get of the quilt??
    i've used them for yrs.(blue & white) where did you buy yours? i couldn't find any at Joanns last time i was there
    Old 08-17-2008, 06:11 PM
    Banned

babeegirl where did you get white and yellow lead for mechanical pencils ? I've never seen any . Annie
    Old 08-17-2008, 06:18 PM

I have the pencils with white, blue, red/pink. They have wooden/natural colored barrels. They work fine for me. I bought mine at WM last year before we bought out the craft store...then, I had about 25 packs. :roll: To tell the truth, I haven't sharpened mine...I haven't used them that much. Want me to go sharpen them and see?
    Old 08-17-2008, 06:31 PM
    Banned

I'm still looking actually. I've seen it but I can't remember if it's Office Depot or OfficeMax