Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Pens/Pencils >
  • Quilting Pens/Pencils

• Quilting Pens/Pencils

Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM

Default Quilting Pens/Pencils

I know there are many threads discussing this, but I can't seem to find one that helps me. I have been using a Dritz Mark B Gone marking pen. I can't find it. lol It just got up and ran away. So, now I need to replace mine. Anything better than what I had? I found it dried out easily, so I'm looking for something else. Plus, I'd like something that has different colors. I found the blue/purple often blended in with some of the fabric colors I used. What else is there?

Thanks.
    Old 08-03-2012, 02:51 PM

What types of things are you wanting to mark? Lines for quilting might require different type of marker than other things.
    Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 PM

I want to mark quilting lines. I have also tried chalk pencils, but it wasn't thin enough.
    Old 08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
    Power Poster

I like to use slivers of used white bar soap for marking quilting lines, but they do not stay very sharp for long. So far this hasn't been a problem for me, as I only have needed guidelines. I have thought that if I ever need thin lines that I would look for a way to "sharpen" the sliver edges periodically as I mark. Maybe a sandpaper block?
    Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 PM

Try the Sewline ceramic pencil. Leads come in gray, white, pink, yellow and green...though some have had trouble removing the pink, yellow, and green lines. Lines are very thin and can be erased or come out with water. I use a wet brush cuz I think the eraser stretches the fabric. I love mine and wouldn't be without it.

Prism, perhaps a cheese slicer to sharpen your soap?

Last edited by ghostrider; 08-03-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Old 08-03-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Try the Sewline ceramic pencil. Leads come in gray, white, pink, yellow and green...though some have had trouble removing the pink, yellow, and green lines. Lines are very thin and can be erased or come out with water. I use a wet brush cuz I think the eraser stretches the fabric. I love mine and wouldn't be without it.

Prism, perhaps a cheese slicer to sharpen your soap?
    Where did you get your Sewline Ceramic Pencil?
    Old 08-03-2012, 03:18 PM

I got mine and the refills at my LQS, but lots of places online sell it...and probably a bit less expensive. United Notions (Moda) is the distributor.
    Old 08-03-2012, 03:26 PM

Have you tried the Pilot Frixion pens? It works great and is removed by heat, comes in black, blue, and red in your office supply stores. I think some quilt shops also carry them in other colors. I've only used the original three colors.
    Old 08-03-2012, 04:16 PM
    Power Poster

i have one of the ceramic pencils too- my is a dritz instead of sewline- but uses the same leads- in fact my refill lead is sewline for my dritz pencil. i too love it = a nice fine point- shows up well- i marked a whole queen size quilt with the green lead- (white whole cloth quilt) and have had no problems removing marks. i used to use chalk most of the time- but i love these much more.
    i purchased my pencil at Joannes ($14 & change) i bought refill leads at my lqs.
    Old 08-03-2012, 06:41 PM

I just this week used the Bohn marking pencil (the pink refill). I machine washed as soon as I was done and it all came out. I just let it air dry and when I get home I hope it is still all gone. I have had this since April and this was the first opportunity I needed it for. I was marking a white embroidered top my SIL had done. So far I am pleased with it. Nice fine line for use with a stencil.
    kathyd