Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Way to Mark Stencils on Dark Fabric >

Best Way to Mark Stencils on Dark Fabric

Best Way to Mark Stencils on Dark Fabric

Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 AM

Default Best Way to Mark Stencils on Dark Fabric

I have been practicing my free motion quilting and have meandering down. Just finished a lap quilt and want to mark the borders. My stencil is a continuous feather.

I tried the Roxanne pencil in white but it doesn't seem to mark so well.

Any suggestions on the best product when using stencils?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 AM

The only thing I have been using on dark fabric for marking is the Fons and Porter White Mechanical pencil.
But I will be watching this thread to see what recommendations you get for stencils, I know there are all kinds of "Pouncers" out there but have not purchased or used any.......will be interesting to see what suggestions you get...
Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

My favorite marking tool for stencils is the "Pounce" pad. It has two different types of chalk. A regular chalk that rubs off very easily. May not be good for FMQ on a domestic you will probably rub it off manipulating the quilt. Then they have the ultra pounce and the chalk can only be removed by washing or with a hot iron. I have never used the ultimate but have heard good things. One thing to keep in mind about Pounce pads, contrary to what the name implies, you do NOT pounce the pad over your stencil. You give the pad a good hard bang on a counter or other hard surface to load up the pad then you RUB it over your stencil like a chalkboard eraser. It is very easy to use and you can mark a large area very quickly.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 AM

I use the Bohin mechanical pencil in white. Same as the Fons & Porter. I use a #2 mechanical pencil for light fabrics. Have never had issues with either coming out in the wash. Tried using the white Roxanne pencil yesterday in fact cuz I ran out of white lead. Such a disaster I ran out to the quilt shop for some white leads! All better now.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
My favorite marking tool for stencils is the "Pounce" pad. It has two different types of chalk. A regular chalk that rubs off very easily. May not be good for FMQ on a domestic you will probably rub it off manipulating the quilt. Then they have the ultra pounce and the chalk can only be removed by washing or with a hot iron. I have never used the ultimate but have heard good things. One thing to keep in mind about Pounce pads, contrary to what the name implies, you do NOT pounce the pad over your stencil. You give the pad a good hard bang on a counter or other hard surface to load up the pad then you RUB it over your stencil like a chalkboard eraser. It is very easy to use and you can mark a large area very quickly.
Oh I like the idea of the Ultra-Pounce as I also only FMQ and was concerned with the 'chalk' rubbing off....where can I find this product to purchase ????? Please and thank you....
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
Oh I like the idea of the Ultra-Pounce as I also only FMQ and was concerned with the 'chalk' rubbing off....where can I find this product to purchase ????? Please and thank you....
There are tons of sources. Just google Pounce Ultimate or Ultimate pounce and you will get loads of hits.

Here are just a few of many I got with Ultimate Pounce. I have also seen it in quilt shops and I believe even JoAnn has it on line only.

http://www.amazon.com/Hancy-2-Ounce-...rds=pounce+pad

http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/084738.html

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/ul...ilt-pounce.php
Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
There are tons of sources. Just google Pounce Ultimate or Ultimate pounce and you will get loads of hits.

Here are just a few of many I got with Ultimate Pounce. I have also seen it in quilt shops and I believe even JoAnn has it on line only.

http://www.amazon.com/Hancy-2-Ounce-...rds=pounce+pad

http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/084738.html

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/ul...ilt-pounce.php
Thank you very much for sharing this information, exactly what I needed to know....and now I know exactly what to look for and where....what more could I ask for ?????
Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 AM

I love the Clover fine line white pens. They cost about $7. They leave a clear white mark, and the point is fine enough to fit in the track of a stencil. It takes a few seconds for the line to develop, which is kind of weird. It doesn't rub off while you're quilting. You can remove it by ironing over it or by washing the quilt.

I used this to mark a project I'm hand quilting. I marked it in December, and the marks are still clear. Where I've quilted, the marks are not as clear, which is a good thing.

Janet
Old 10-05-2012, 02:06 PM

Checked my sewing closet and found that I had purchased the Bohin mechanical pencil that included the chalk sharpener and a package of various colored chalk! I just tried using it on a dark brown fabric. It works great! Thanks to everyone who responded. I did try the Pouch but did not like it.

Now I feel like I am ready to tackle more stencils in my quilt borders.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:50 PM

To mark I use a sliver of soap from the bathroom. To remove, spritz with water.