Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Room >

Quilting Room

Quilting Room

Old 12-28-2016, 01:54 PM

Default Quilting Room

I actually finished the projects I was working on two days before Christmas so now I'm working on a list for next year. I looked around at my quilting room and decided I needed to rearrange things to make the flow better. I dread moving the two floor to ceiling bookcase DH built but he assures me he will not grouch while he helps me. If you have a dedicated sewing room do you ever just toss everything out of the space and clean or rearrange?
Old 12-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

I"m in the mist of arranging things now. Just bought a small shelving unit at Walmart. My son put up a large metal one already. He promised to put another one in the closet but so far, na da. i just moved so I am still looking for things too!
Old 12-28-2016, 02:16 PM

I rearranged everything when I moved my sewing area from 6 x 9 ft room to a bedroom 12x14 with 100 inches of closet. Removed closet doors, added 4 shelves and a curtain. I did have trouble getting rid of fabric, i had a keep, maybe, and donate pile. My maybe started to come back to the keep pile and some of the donate pile started to come back to the maybe and keep pile. finally I did donate 2 big boxes of fabric to the 4H and to church group...but I need to do it again. I think this time i will clean out one closet at a time.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

yes, but that's usually because I've moved yet again! LOL
Old 12-28-2016, 03:59 PM

When I first moved all my sewing and craft things into the designated sewing room it was pretty haphazard. But as time went by and I acquired more sewing machines and storage items/shelves/cabinets, etc. I would end up re-arranging and purging. I am down to one large storage container with crafts in it, the rest is all sewing/quilting/embroidery stuff. This year I have so many projects I want to do, and have the fabric, so intend not to buy anything else until they are done.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

he, he. when i looked in our tiny hall closet where i had movers put boxes marked photos and slides, i found a box marked hall closet!! After months, I had even told the movers they lost my box of jackets. Not!! they were in the box marked hall closet but i never saw it until now. long after the move. Oh well, the movers lost so much other stuff and broke more. I am missing one flat block trimmer that spins. i have a small one but the other one is elusive.
I just put together a small shelving unit. now to find more fabrics to put on it!! no problem there.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:00 PM

I've made my daughter's old room my sewing room and keep thinking that I could get better use if I rearranged, but can't quite figure out how to accomplish that. One thing I want to do with both my kids (both grown) is figure out how to get rid of stuff in their huge walk-in closets--that would give me room to store some of my sewing stuff.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:28 PM

I started out with a sewing table and an ironing board many years ago and at that time I thought I was doing quite well. I now have 1/2 of (1/2) of the basement ( two bedrooms and a bathroom in the other half) and have acquire a larger sewing table, a cutting table as well as a glass table which houses the Janome. In addition I have an armour, a bookcase, and the recent purchase of a HQ Advante long arm. So, I did have to re-arrange and it has worked out quite well. Oh - I did have to pull off a large work bench with a mammoth vice grip and move two large overhead florescent lights to make space for the LA. Definitely worth the effort though!
Old 12-28-2016, 07:43 PM

That's what I've been doing the whole week. Organizing and rearranging rather than quilting. But it should work better for me in the future so it's worth it
Old 12-28-2016, 08:45 PM

Over the last week, my husband and I cleaned out a storage closet that recently held a deep freeze and a bunch of paint, etc. He put up a bunch of shelves and we moved an armoir and some cd storage shelves (for fat quarters) in there. I was surprised that it held all my yarn and fabric.

It's on a smaller scale I'm sure, but yes, I can see myself occasionally taking everything out of there and rearranging. Especially when it's not flowing well. I'm a messy creative, but I still like order somewhat. Sometimes it helps me to visualize by getting everything out of the space. Sometimes the thought of rearranging is overwhelming though, so I just go by whatever works. After rearranging I always feel more creative and productive. It seems to increase my motivation, too.