Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Room >

Quilting Room

Quilting Room

Old 12-29-2016, 05:05 AM

My sewing room is a collection of repurposed furniture. An old China cabinet, a baby changing table, an old armoire, filing cabinets, a bar with shelves, an old couch that holds ArtBin boxes, a pingpong table for cutting and also as a design wall, an old office desk. My sewing room is the basement. Certainly not elegant, but it all works for me.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:52 AM

I have a pretty good sized bedroom for my sewing room. I have a nice sewing table a friend built for me. He traded it for a major alteration on a bridesmaid dress for his daughter. I also have a 4'x4' cutting table. I recently added a buffet that I am in the process of making an ironing board to put on top so I can get my ironing board out of the way. I have lots of room to store my fabric. It is a mess. I have my FQ (most aren't really FQ any more) sorted by color in the closet. The rest of my fabric is an unorganized mess. The fabric that I don't really like any more is stored in the closet. The rest is on shelves under the cutting table and in semi organized piles on the floor. I recently was given a longarm that I don't know how to use. I put that in another bedroom and moved my batting into there. I am currently watching youtube videos on how to use the longarm. I think I am able to think of ideas better in the chaos that is my sewing room.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:41 AM

I don't need to relocate my sewing furniture--I need to put away stuff and keep it clean. That will never happen so I need to at least tone it down to current project!
Old 12-29-2016, 09:28 AM

In the near future I'll be changing out my bookcases for shelves on the walls which will give me 6 feet extra for fabrics. Taking those bookcases up to the library so I can finally put my books up after being in storage since 2007. I have 2 rooms in the basement designated as my sewing room. One has all the cotton fabrics, cutting table, design wall and ironing board. The other room has all the machines, embroidery and quilting threads. I had another doorway added to one end so I had a better air flow and I could enter either room from one of the doorways. The rooms were large enough when I 1st moved here but since then I've enlarged my cutting table, added a 2 x 4 pressing station over my ironing board and upgraded my quilting machine from 10' frame/18" machine to a 12' frame/26" machine. Don't realize how much room those machines take up till you have them installed.

I know once I have the new shelving in I'll be able to stack my fabric bolts onto a shelf instead of up against the wall where I tend to trip over them going around my cutting table.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:00 PM

Whew! After four hours the room is empty except for the tv that is mounted to the wall and the two huge bookcases that I can't move. I think I can place some things back in it's new place this evening and leave the heaviest part for DH tomorrow when he's off work. I'm hoping when we retire in a couple of years we'll find a house with either a basement, upstairs or attic/loft type space to spread out a little more.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:38 PM

Last time I organized I took everything out of the room and got it put away. Then I had to deal with what was left over in the family room! This time I'm doing a "surface" reorganization. Just putting fabric back in drawers and getting things put away. Both ways work for me. I always find items I forgot I had and I put different projects inmy to-do pile!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:59 PM

No, never. I have 2 walls of wall shelves from about 5' high to the ceiling and some large tables. To me, it's too much trouble to move everything. I did a small rearranging when I got the Rocketeer and moved a table back in the sewing room that I had moved out. But I don't ever take everything out and start over. If I did that it would take me several weeks of weekend time to do and that would mean I wouldn't get to sew so it's just not worth what little I'd probably gain.

The next big re-arrange will be when (and if) I move.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:07 PM

Every time I decide to clean my sewing room, I get distracted by projects. I never spend enough time organizing because I find something else to work on.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by marge954 View Post
Whew! After four hours the room is empty except for the tv that is mounted to the wall and the two huge bookcases that I can't move. I think I can place some things back in it's new place this evening and leave the heaviest part for DH tomorrow when he's off work. I'm hoping when we retire in a couple of years we'll find a house with either a basement, upstairs or attic/loft type space to spread out a little more.
Good for you!! You are making great progress! Be sure to post pictures when you are done.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:36 PM

Well, when I win Publisher's ClearingHouse (I wish!) I want to deed our current house to one of the kids, buy more land and build a one story house--maybe hacienda type with one wing a sewing studio and library for writer DH and then other wing bedrooms with connecting kitchen, living, etc. And I'd have the laundry near the sewing studio with lots of natural light (but no southern exposure)--have it all planned out--just need to win the big jackpot! LOL!