Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Safety Pins >

Quilting Safety Pins

Quilting Safety Pins

Old 10-28-2016, 05:48 AM

Default Quilting Safety Pins

Any recommendations for quilting safety pins without burrs or flaws? I swore the last time I bought a pack it was the last time because only 1/2 or less were usable. They left holes so big in the fabric that the batt was pushed through. I am to the point in quilt construction where they would be the very best option, but only if they have improved over the last 5-10 years. Bought name brand at a good lqs. ARGH to say the least.
Thanks for any help, empathy or sympathy-
Purl
Old 10-28-2016, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Good luck! I bought the special curved pins a while ago( before I started Elmer's glue) and they were so dull I went back to using regular cheap pins from the dollar store. They were not curved but at least they were sharp.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Purl View Post
Any recommendations for quilting safety pins without burrs or flaws? I swore the last time I bought a pack it was the last time because only 1/2 or less were usable. They left holes so big in the fabric that the batt was pushed through. I am to the point in quilt construction where they would be the very best option, but only if they have improved over the last 5-10 years. Bought name brand at a good lqs. ARGH to say the least.
Thanks for any help, empathy or sympathy-
Purl
I also purchased many (hundreds) pins and have been disappointed with the burrs and thickness of them. I don't use them anymore. I would rather thread baste. I have, however, thought of taking sandpaper and trying to sand the ends down while watching TV. I don't know if it's worth the effort.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:49 AM

I spray baste mostly so no help when I do use pins I use dritz
Old 10-28-2016, 09:23 AM

I use that little strawberry that usually comes with those red tomato pin cushions to clean and sharpen the pins I use after pinning quilts on the longarm. I don't know if it really works or not, but I think it removes any burrs or gook. I've also used the wool pincushion. Just push it in and pull it out a few times. You might try that when you are watching tv or doing something that doesn't require much thought.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:10 PM

Sorry, this won't help you but, there are some good ones out there. I bought some at LQS a couple years ago. I had won a 25$ gift certificate from my guild and used that for the pins. They go through the quilt layers like butter. Of course, I didn't keep the package or make note of the name and I am kicking myself. The shop is closing, no one knows the brand. ); I would love to have more.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:29 PM

I've bought a few large (300 pins) packages of the size one Dritz curved safety pins and only had a few pins that weren't good.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
I've bought a few large (300 pins) packages of the size one Dritz curved safety pins and only had a few pins that weren't good.
Many thanks to all who took the time to reply! I will look for Dritz - it seems to be a good brand so fingers crossed. The others I tried to sand with an emery board and it was hopeless. I need to hold giant yo yos (some dinner plate size) made with Amy Butler fabric onto a machine basted quilt. Will be hand quilting all the way thru the quilt at the edge of each yo yo forming the initial permanent quilting. It will take forever so pins seem my best bet. It's been such a fun project- have bought fabric and worked on it all over the lower 48, Canada and Alaska, that I would hate to have it end up with an unhappy, painful ending.

All rejected pins will go back to the manufacturer. With a note.

Thanks again! Purl
Old 10-29-2016, 08:05 AM

Mine were bought from Quilt In A Day and they work great. Also bought the wooden handled pin closer, it works great too.
They do have a curve in them.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:55 AM

That little strawberry won't help a bit on a pin that has never been "pointed" to begin with.