Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quilting a silk quilt. HAS ANYONE DONE ONE

I am blessed with enough silk material to do at least 3 quilts, I bought silk sewing machine needles and i have 3 large spools of silk thread, don't know if i should use the silk , or what type to use.I am going to use a simple patteren for the first one. How do I quilt it? and of course the batting material as well. I have quilted for over forthy years and this is my dream come true , is to have a silk quilt.I feel like a beginner again, quilting never gets old,only the quilters.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny3
    I am blessed with enough silk material to do at least 3 quilts, I bought silk sewing machine needles and i have 3 large spools of silk thread, don't know if i should use the silk , or what type to use.I am going to use a simple patteren for the first one. How do I quilt it? and of course the batting material as well. I have quilted for over forthy years and this is my dream come true , is to have a silk quilt.I feel like a beginner again, quilting never gets old,only the quilters.

I don't have any help for you, but will be watching the replies as I have silk and satin fabric from wedding dresses that I would like to use. I am worried about needle holes in case of making a mistake.

I've never made a silk quilt, though I do use silk in crazy quilt blocks. Years ago. I purchased a vintage quilt ith bright colored strips sewed on a foundation (I think you call that strip quilting or string quilting.) made with what I thought was silk, but actually I think it is a cheaper lining fabric. Alas it has started shattering. It's still very pretty and I often drape it over the upstairs balcony in the entry hall. Lucky you to have so much silk. I'd love to see your finished quilt.

I am to scared to sew silk, how do you get it not to move around while sewing....good luck, cannot wait to see your finished product....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny3
    My avatar is a silk quilt I made for my DDIL with some fabric left from making her wedding gown 20 years ago. The front is silk dupioni, backing is silk/rayon velvet, batting silk/bamboo. I did SID with a walking foot. I also used silk thread. Dupioni frays terribly so you really need to make the seams wider than 1/4". The simpler the design the better, in my experience. Remember, no steam, no water unless you prewash, but then you change the character of the silk. Oh, what I did for quilting was to quilt SID each block to the batting before I added the backing. Then I hand-tied each block center with silk embroidery floss. Just remember to put on your patience shoes before embarking on your challenge. Good Luck!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I don't have any help for you, but will be watching the replies as I have silk and satin fabric from wedding dresses that I would like to use. I am worried about needle holes in case of making a mistake.
    First of all, you don't make mistakes on silk. You can pin within the seam allowances. I have made many wedding gowns, all with silk, and I have to say it is my favorite fabric to work with. I love sewing with silk. You just have to have a clear head while doing it and don't sew it when you're tired.

If you stitch silk pieces together, what's the diff? That said, I have done satin quilts, using a fine needle, regular thread. Decorative top stitching, like a crazy quilt, using any thread that will go through the needle.

Blog Entries
    welcome from MN and happy quilting

I googled dupioni silk and there's a lot of info on pre-washing etc because of shrinkage. Jenny Haskins of Creative Expressions magazine uses dupioni for all quilts. I've recently begun Cabochon Treasures by Kenny Kreations which is heavy embroidery but, half-way through the project and haven't decided which method of iron on stabilizer to use because there is a little puckering of fabric which is acceptable because of quilting later. So far I'm using normal size 11 needles with Royal rayon threads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast