Old 06-13-2011, 12:51 PM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by tiny3
I am blessed with enough silk material to do at least 3 quilts, I bought silk sewing machine needles and i have 3 large spools of silk thread, don't know if i should use the silk , or what type to use.I am going to use a simple patteren for the first one. How do I quilt it? and of course the batting material as well. I have quilted for over forthy years and this is my dream come true , is to have a silk quilt.I feel like a beginner again, quilting never gets old,only the quilters.
My avatar is a silk quilt I made for my DDIL with some fabric left from making her wedding gown 20 years ago. The front is silk dupioni, backing is silk/rayon velvet, batting silk/bamboo. I did SID with a walking foot. I also used silk thread. Dupioni frays terribly so you really need to make the seams wider than 1/4". The simpler the design the better, in my experience. Remember, no steam, no water unless you prewash, but then you change the character of the silk. Oh, what I did for quilting was to quilt SID each block to the batting before I added the backing. Then I hand-tied each block center with silk embroidery floss. Just remember to put on your patience shoes before embarking on your challenge. Good Luck!!!!