Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Soft & Stable on a long arm >

Quilting Soft & Stable on a long arm

Quilting Soft & Stable on a long arm

Old 02-22-2018, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Default Quilting Soft & Stable on a long arm

I am trying to quilt a piece of fabric using soft & stable as the batting on my long arm. The top thread is looping on the back. I'm guessing that the foam in the S&S is grabbing the thread and looping it. I've tried 16 & 18 needles & tightened the upper tension, but no joy. I'm using Connecting threads Essential Pro poly, 70 weight. It actually looks great on the top...
I'm trying to make a quick bag and didn't want to line it.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

OK, I think I solved my own problem. I tightened the top tension even more and put in (another) new size 16 needle. I also lengthened my stitch length to 10. It looks a bit choppy, but I'm not quilting a lot of tight swirls. Still a few loops here and there, but I'm going to pull them into the backing fabric & put a dot of fray check on those spots.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:57 AM

Good to know!
Old 02-22-2018, 12:09 PM

I had no difficulty quilting Soft and Stable on my longarm - I used a pantograph that was Maple Leaves so it did have a few sharp points. I found that I had to make sure the presser foot was a little closer to the fabric than with regular quilting fabric and batting. I think I used a size 18 needle but I'm not sure, and the thread was Connecting Threads cotton thread.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:38 PM

I don't have a longarm, but I do have a great machine that will do what you're describing if the upper thread is not properly in the tension. It's terribly frustrating because it looks great on top and you're smiling at the lovely stitches until the bobbin runs out you turn it over and &$*%#^@$!!!! I have another machine that will occasionally do the same thing for the same reason. Probably you did think of that, but I'm just mentioning this because I've learned that the first thing to try before adjusting the tension is re-thread, maybe more than once. I don't appreciate the fact that on these newer machines the tension mechanism is hidden from view where I can't tell if there's piece of lint or thread caught in it, and couldn't get at it if I could see it!