Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Soft and Stable interfacing >

Soft and Stable interfacing

Soft and Stable interfacing

Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 AM

Default Soft and Stable interfacing

Have any of you tried Annie's Soft and Stable interfacing for bags/clutches? From the video it looks like an expensive version of art foam that you can buy at Michael's. The differenc I see is Soft and Stable has fabric on both sides. Anyone have any thoughts on using art foam instead?

Last edited by fayzer; 01-24-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 PM

I have never used art foam, so I am not sure what you are talking about. I have used the soft and stable and it gives bags a nice body. I really like it, but it is pricey. An alternative is to go to JoAnn's and get headliner fabric. It doesn't have quite as much body and it doesn't have fabric on both sides, but it works pretty good. It usually runs around $15 a yard, but I always use a coupon.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:07 PM

I am going to give the art foam a try. It is cheap at michaels. If the art foam needs fabric on both sides, I will spray baste some muslin to it. It sure looks like it will make the bags have a nice body. I really like the look of those bags.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 PM

I love Soft and stable. I've tried the headliner fabric from Joann's but it didn't give nearly as nice a look. I've heard that the problem with the stuff without fabric on both sides is that it can screw up the tension on your machine. I'm selective about which bags I use it on. A LQS has a 30% off the stores ale in the Spring so I'll pick up more then.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:33 PM

Thanks for your input. I will try to find the soft and stable on sale. I am also going to try the art foam and spray baste fabric onto it. I honestly think it will be about the same. I can compare and then decide.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 AM

I used a walking foot to sew the purse that I made using headliner fabric. I ave not tried the Soft & Stable yet.

Sandy
Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 AM

I just picked up a yard of soft and stable with my last Superior Threads order. Now to find the perfect purse pattern to use it on!
Old 03-04-2015, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
Have any of you tried Annie's Soft and Stable interfacing for bags/clutches? From the video it looks like an expensive version of art foam that you can buy at Michael's. The differenc I see is Soft and Stable has fabric on both sides. Anyone have any thoughts on using art foam instead?
I am interested in making a purse that will feel like a purchased purse, not too soft but sturdy. Is the Michaels foam in this tutorial the same as the Soft and Stable except for the fabric added to it? I have never seen Soft and Stable so am looking for your input.

http://www.sillypearl.com/2012/05/cr...iy-stamps.html
Old 03-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Considering the cost of a nice purse the cost of the Soft and Stable is really inexpensive when you make your own. Why use something that gives poor results just because it's cheaper. There is a reason why it's cheaper. Some reasons why it is cheaper are good but most are not.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:32 PM

The Soft and Stable is well worth the money. You don't have to quilt it - your fabric looks smooth and nice. You can ball it up and it pops right back,no wrinkles or folds. It's very easy to use. Joann online carries it and there are lots of vendors on EBay too. I used it for Sew Together and Bionic Gear bags as well as purses. I love the look and feel it gives.