Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting software

Quilting software

If this question has been asked before, my apologies. I try looking through some of the post, but there are so many
    Do any of you use a quilting software? If so, what kind and what specifically do you use it for? Would you recommend it to a beginner?
    Thanks! I am learning so much from y'all already!
    Sonja

Blog Entries
    I have EQ5 [since 5 came out] It meets all my designing needs. If I ever get to the point that it doesn't do all that I need, I'll consider upgrading to the most current version. There is definitely a learning curve. However, if you follow the lessons and ask questions at the EQ website, you should catch on quickly. I design all of my quilts with it. When I see a quilt that I like, I can just design it, or a similar one, in EQ. I can easily change the size or auditions the colors. Rhonda, a member here, has put some excellent Tutorials in that forum for EQ users.
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    I use EQ7. You can design your quilt and drop in scans of your actual fabric to get a general idea of what it will look like. It works on a Windows based machine. If you have a Mac, it won't work on that operating system, but there is one specifically for the mac.
    There was a recent post on it:
    Electric Quilt 7 - To buy or not to buy
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I invested in EQ7, too. (upgraded from EQ6).

the only downside to that program is the cost.
    however, it soon pays for itself because you will rarely need to buy another pattern.
    it's tons of fun to design my own quilts.
    i don't even need to try creating new blocks.
    it has thousands of blocks built in. the combinations are endless.

before you settle on a specific software, though, do take the time to check out all those on the market.
    the really good ones are pricey so you will want to pick the one that most suits your needs.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com

I use EQ7 on practically every quilt. I use it to design new quilts, to copy quilts that I see elsewhere, to try new layouts or colors, and to amuse myself. If I had to give up all my quilting toys and start fresh, EQ would be one of the first things I purchased (right after a sewing machine, rulers, and rotary cutter).

Blog Entries
    Here is a recent thread on this topic:
    Quilt Program???

Maybe she could get acquainted with quilting softwares trying this free one?
    http://www.mywebquilter.com

When you say "quilting software" are you referring to software you install on your computer to help you design a quilt? Or are you referring to software that guides your sewing machine to do the actual quilting?
    Proud grandma of Coast Guard grandson and Air Force granddaughter!