Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Suggestions, Please >

Quilting Suggestions, Please

Quilting Suggestions, Please

Old 09-19-2016, 04:58 PM

Default Quilting Suggestions, Please

I just finished this baby quilt top. (The striped blue fabric is the backing.) Any suggestions for quilting? I was thinking about a simple stippling design. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by NZquilter; 09-19-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:50 PM

Take a piece of wax paper and lay over one of the girls. Outline it, remove it, and then write on it with a pointed object so the lines show. Maybe you could tell better this way. On one, try outlining the girl and then echo all around her and see how that looks. It is beautiful!
Old 09-19-2016, 06:00 PM

Are these hand work? If so... do you plan to hand quilt?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:23 PM
Power Poster

Sweet top! I would outline stitch the embroidery and then do a stipple or other close background fill to make the embroidery figures puff up. I would SITD on the attic windows and sashing. I might put in a couple of rows of straight stitching following the attic window persoective.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:28 PM

I like Tartan's vision. You can use a thick piece of clear vinyl overtop the quilt to sketch on with a white board wipe off marker. First tape all around the edges of the vinyl so you don't write past it onto the quilt. It's a great way to "try out" your designs before using thread, to see how they'll look. I love the lady on the swing!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Sweet top! I would outline stitch the embroidery and then do a stipple or other close background fill to make the embroidery figures puff up. I would SITD on the attic windows and sashing. I might put in a couple of rows of straight stitching following the attic window persoective.
that's just the way i would do it as well. if you are like me and are not a good stippler, try straight line rays out from the beautiful embroidery
Old 09-20-2016, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I'm not a fan of stippling, so I think I would have fun with it. I wouldn't want to detract from the lovely embroidery, so I would use very pale thread, possibly white. I would probably outline close to the embroidery, not on it. In the block with the girl on a swing I would quilt a tree to the right, some grass, a bush to the left. On the dog, a cat where the girl and dog are looking, grass, maybe some bushes to fill in the space. On the one with a net, some butterflies. You get the idea. I would do something with straight lines in the sashing, plus SITD. I think you have a beautiful quilt with lots of possibilities.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Are these hand work? If so... do you plan to hand quilt?

I hope so! I'm one who believes in being consistent in the work. Hand embroidery deserves hand quilting. If you want something simple, outline the figures and cross-hatch maybe an inch or so apart behind them. Cross-hatching would be consistent with the era of the designs. SID for the attic windows. These are darling Sues.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:36 AM

I agree with ragamuffin - the outline of the girl, then the echo effect - it is very nice and brings out the little girl
Old 09-21-2016, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
Take a piece of wax paper and lay over one of the girls. Outline it, remove it, and then write on it with a pointed object so the lines show. Maybe you could tell better this way. On one, try outlining the girl and then echo all around her and see how that looks. It is beautiful!
I think freezer paper, not wax paper. Freezer paper is white paper on one side, plastic on other side, easy to trace through, does not leave a residue on your fabrics( which wax paper does) the plastic side can be pressed onto the blocks, and peeled off easily. freezer paper is a sewing room staple for many of us. Very cute quilt!