Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting >

quilting

quilting

Old 02-19-2011, 03:04 PM

I'm making my first big quilt for my daughters bed which is a full size bed. I'm not ready to do fMQ but I've seen some quilts that have stitches that go from one corner to the other with spacing in between. Very even lines about 2 inches apart. I think I would like to do her quilt with that but can any let me know how that type of quilting is done? I looked on youtube and put in straight stitch machine quiling but nothing was really there to help. Any suggestions would be appreicaited. Thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 03:06 PM

I've heard it called crosshatch. This may help:

http://www.ideas-for-quilting.com/cr...hquilting.html
Old 02-19-2011, 03:12 PM
RST

Use a walking foot, and either mark your quilt, or use masking tape to give you a line to follow. After the initial line of stitching, you can use the adjustable seam guides on your walking foot to give you uniform spaces between lines of quilting.

RST
Old 02-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

You could do Stitch-in-the-ditch and follow the seam lines. For the grid work (or cross-hatch) you can use a seam guide bar that attaches through a hole in your machine (or some feet). Set the distance you want and then run the guide over your first seam line. You should get even distances that way.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:16 PM

You can go to the hardware store and buy masking tape in different widths, and quilt along edge of the masking tape, then peel away. I have an applique quilt, that I had no idea how I wanted to quilt it...and used tape, I think it was 3" wide and did crosshatch quilting even over the applique...it turned out great, though at first I wasn't sure if I would really like it or not. I used my walking foot to do the quilting, and only taped a row or two at a time, then moved the tape. It could be reused a few times before it lost it's stickiness.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:18 PM

This is one method I use a lot (I say a lot but to tell the truth I've only quilted 4 quilts and several stockings so far) and I like it. I go diagonally through the blocks so I just mark one block at a time as I sew (I use a clover chaco liner). I can't stay in the ditch and haven't even tried free motion yet, and this works for me.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna give it a shot.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:21 PM

I have a quilting guide bar with my machine. If you have one of these, just stitch the first line and set your guide to the width that you want and stich away. Your lines will stay even if you follow the bar guide.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by msawicki64
I'm making my first big quilt for my daughters bed which is a full size bed. I'm not ready to do fMQ but I've seen some quilts that have stitches that go from one corner to the other with spacing in between. Very even lines about 2 inches apart. I think I would like to do her quilt with that but can any let me know how that type of quilting is done? I looked on youtube and put in straight stitch machine quiling but nothing was really there to help. Any suggestions would be appreicaited. Thanks
diagonal quilting looks great. use the serpentine stitch for easy stitching. mistakes hardly show. fiddle with width & length of stitch to see what looks best on a sample.