Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting Thread...

Quilting Thread...

Ok Quilters......... What type and brand of thread do you prefer for FMQ??
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

superior thread #60 my machine loves it.

Blog Entries
    The polyester on a Cone from Connecting Threads (they have lots of colors) on the top and Bottom Line or So Fine from Superior Thread. If I use anything else I have to use a much larger needle.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

LOL, you will get as many answers as there are quilters and you know what? There is NO universal answer. It entirely depends on preference and application.

How much do you want the thread to show? Do you want it to play a prominent role or just add texture to your quilt?
    Do you do alot of detailed machine quilting like Diane Gaudinski and not want heavy build up? Then you should be using a very fine thread like silk, invisafil, bottom line or so fine

Do you want the thread to be heavier and show more? Maybe be a little shiny and pop? Then perhaps an embroidery thread like Isacord, Filtec Glide or Superior Highlights would be the better choice.

Maybe you are a purest and ONLY want cotton thread, YLI, Superior threads, connecting threads and filtec all make wonderful cotton threads for FMQ.

Have a quilt where only a variegated will give you what you want? Turn to King Tut or Rainbows by Superior.

My quilt needs bling!! Go wild with a metallic. Superior threads, YLI and Fil tec all have an offering in metallics.

So you see, there is no universal type or brand for FMQ.

I've been purchasing the Essential Thread Sets from Connecting Threads.com. I find that they are quite reasonable and my Bernina seem to like them just fine.

I have been using a lot of Glide lately on my LA

Mostly I use Permacore or Omni, but I love what Feline Fanatic had to say! I was at Road to CA yesterday and got two cones of Magnifico. (Superior thread makes Magnifico, just FYI) Its got a great sheen to it, so I"m anxious to see how my Lucy likes it! (oh and I'm WORN OUT from the show! lol)
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    I use mostly Signature Thread. My machine loves it and the price is good. Have also used Glide and that too is great.

I mostly use coats and clark. My machines aren't fussy, and I get a good result. I have used Sulky and that's okay too, just for me harder to come by in person.