Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting using a sewing machine versus free motion quilting >

quilting using a sewing machine versus free motion quilting

quilting using a sewing machine versus free motion quilting

Old 09-04-2013, 05:24 AM

Default quilting using a sewing machine versus free motion quilting

I have noticed when I use my regular sewing machine to quilt, such as "stitching in the ditch" or even sewing straight lines, that the quilting looks very different than "free motion" quilting or having it quilted by a long-arm quilter. It's almost as if I can tell that a regular sewing machine was used rather than the free motion quilting.

I also made a large quilt using a quilt-as-you go method, and I used strips to join the blocks together. Before joining the blocks, I had quilted them on a regular sewing machine. I made a 9-patch, and quilted with a squiggly line going down all 4 seams.

I finally put the whole thing together, and the quilt itself is lovely, but I am not sure I like the way the quilting looks. It just does not look like a "normal" quilt. Does anyone know if this is what normally happens when quilts are made this way? That they just don't look the same as a quilt made the conventional way?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I have found that QAYG quilts don't look quite as flat as regular quilts. FMQ does look different than quilting with the feed dogs engaged. The feed dogs help to give you evenly placed stitch length.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Every quilt is different. Normal for one person may not be for another!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

lots of people 'free motion quilt' on their domestic machines- and do wonderful jobs - you do not need a long-arm to 'free motion quilt' . generally when using your domestic machine you use a walking foot keeping your feed dogs up for straight line quilting- you use a 'hopping foot' (sometimes called a darning foot, or free motion foot) with the feed dogs down- disengaged or covered for free motion quilting. I've seen many machine quilted quilts that were absolutely stunning- done on a domestic sewing machine- it just takes practice, patience and the desire.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:56 AM

I do all my quilting on a regular sewing machine. There is no requirement to get a long arm. Free motion quilting just means you guide the fabric, not the feed dogs (either by lowering them, covering them, or just ignoring their resistance with a foot that doesn't have much pressure). It has nothing to do with the machine. Almost every sewing machine is capable of free motion.

If you feel your quilt doesn't look like most quilts, it is likely because the quilting you did doesn't match current style. You say you did squiggly lines on the seams. I know, personally, that I see most quilting either inside blocks or all over the quilt. By focusing it on the seams, you just chose another style. It won't look like quilts of another style. It likely still looks very nice though.

I also agree though- quilt as you go does generally have a different look than a quilt that is done in one piece. Just a different look though, not better or worse.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I have never done QAYG. I guess I never thought about each method looking different, it is all just so beautiful to me.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 AM

Susan Hunter" I have noticed when I use my regular sewing machine to quilt, such as "stitching in the ditch" or even sewing straight lines, that the quilting looks very different than "free motion" quilting or having it quilted by a long-arm quilterd by a long-arm quilter. It's almost as if I can tell that a regular sewing machine was used rather than the free motion quilting." Quote

Sound like you are confused on the difference between SID and "free Motion" quilting. Either can be done by LAQ or by you on your regular machine. SID usually uses a walking foot and is usually straight lines either in the seam line or very close to it or on the diaginal. FMq uses a special foot and the feed dogs are usually dropped completely down and you control/move the quilt top to make a pattern. You should be able to make the same patterns/designs on your machine as a LAQ does on her machine. The difference may be in the skill of the quilter. Practice makes perfect. Also I have heard that SID can be hard for a LAQ to do since they are really controlling the LA machine.

Last edited by bigsister63; 09-04-2013 at 08:14 AM.