Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion quilting with a vertical bobbin machine versus other >

Free motion quilting with a vertical bobbin machine versus other

Free motion quilting with a vertical bobbin machine versus other

Old 10-18-2013, 04:42 AM

Default Free motion quilting with a vertical bobbin machine versus other

So I read something interesting the other day that might have been an AHA! moment. I've been struggling with FMQing a queen-sized bed quilt on my Viking machine. At times, it seems to catch on the underside and then I am left with some eyelashing, making it frustrating to have to go back and rip that section out.

A few days ago after reading articles about FMQing, I came across an article that said FMQing on a machine with a vertical bobbin feed was better than with a horizontal bobbin feed (such as with my Viking machine). I have not had a chance to try out that theory yet, since I don't have a darning foot for any of my vertical bobbin thread feed machines (although I was also reading on doing FMQing without a foot as well).

My question is - has anyone had experience with noticing if this is true or not. and have you had experience with free motion quilting w/o a darning foot before? Note: I have seen "thread painting" done without a foot before.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:46 AM

I had the problem with my Janome
Old 10-18-2013, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Interesting. In vertical, do you mean it is positioned standing up on the side rather than laying down? I don't have a machine that the bobbin lays flat so I can't test that theory.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Many of the machines you can convert your horizontal spool to upright, but sticking in a pin that comes in the bag of odds and ends. Perhaps you can do that with yours?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:54 AM

A vertical bobbin makes one less "S" turn in the way to the fabric and the stitches can have less tension problems. I have both types of machines and yes, the vertical bobbin assemblies do a better job at FMQing IMO. This is why vintage machine lovers enjoy their 221, 301, and 15's so much. And why I love my old Berninas and Pfaffs.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
A vertical bobbin makes one less "S" turn in the way to the fabric and the stitches can have less tension problems. I have both types of machines and yes, the vertical bobbin assemblies do a better job at FMQing IMO. This is why vintage machine lovers enjoy their 221, 301, and 15's so much. And why I love my old Berninas and Pfaffs.
What she said. They also do better with embroidery. The Pfaffs do move the hoops, but you can use a scythe type seam ripper and cut the thread mess, clean out and fix the vertical bobbin without even moving the hoop. Works the same way for almost every other type of fabric jam, like fabric drawn down needle hole.

One big disadvantage can be a thread cutter. They don't always work right maybe because of that one less s turn.

I've had a couple of drop-in bobbin machines, and except for Brother/Babylock buttonholes, I don't want another.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:33 AM

I love my drop in bobbin and have no problems with it on my Viking Sapphire machine.
My Baby Lock Jane has the vertical bobbin and I do not like it, so primitive.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

YiKes!! Please ignore my earlier comment ... as you might have figured out, I was thinking "spool" NOT bobbin!

Now on topic ... i currently have vertical, and previously drop in ... perhaps my inexperience, I didn't notice a difference!

As for FMQ without a foot ... I know some do it, but no way I am ready to try that ...... I'm sure I would have my finger FMQd into the project before too many stitches!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

I've never heard of a vertical bobbin. i'd love to see one. can't think how the top thread would pick up the bobbin thread.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I've never heard of a vertical bobbin. i'd love to see one. can't think how the top thread would pick up the bobbin thread.
I had the same thought!