Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vertical bobbin sewing machine with decorative stitches and a large throat? >

Vertical bobbin sewing machine with decorative stitches and a large throat?

Vertical bobbin sewing machine with decorative stitches and a large throat?

Old 06-26-2018, 08:11 AM

Default Vertical bobbin sewing machine with decorative stitches and a large throat?

I have a Singer 201-2 single stitch machine, but I would really like a vintage machine that has a decorative stitch and also has the vertical bobbin for free motion quilting with a large enough throat to quilt a queen sized quilt. We live in a small house and I can only have a few machines. Does this machine exist? The closest I've seen is the Singer 401a, but it has a horizontal bobbin.

A girl can always wish!
Old 06-26-2018, 08:14 AM

A Bernina 730 has a few stitches, 20 I think, just a few decorative; but it has very neat stitching. For the decorative stitches, I lean towards a Necchi Supernova that takes double cams. I don't have too many complaints on my Supermatic, but non of my machines have as large troat space as my 201. I don't know how common those 50s Gritzner automatic models are, but they look like they have reasonable space under the harp. With all the cam mechanism and setting levers in the top, it takes up space under on almost all models.

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-26-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:20 AM

I will check those two out. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Banned

I don't think you're going to find a vintage machine with a throat space any bigger than the 201-2. Japanese machines have the same footprint as the old Singers.

Cari
Old 06-26-2018, 01:25 PM

Is there a special reason you require a vertical bobbin over the horizontal one? Is it personal preference? Is one better than the other for FMQ?

I'm just wondering and hope my question is reasonable as I'm still trying to learn about FMQ. My machines have FMQ and horizontal bobbins/decorative stitches but are not vintage machines.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I don't think you're going to find a vintage machine with a throat space any bigger than the 201-2. Japanese machines have the same footprint as the old Singers.

Cari
I'm happy with the throat size of the 201-2, but I don't see many vintage machines with decorative stitches that have that size of throat.

I'll keep that in mind about Japanese machines. I didn't know that. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Is there a special reason you require a vertical bobbin over the horizontal one? Is it personal preference? Is one better than the other for FMQ?

I'm just wondering and hope my question is reasonable as I'm still trying to learn about FMQ. My machines have FMQ and horizontal bobbins/decorative stitches but are not vintage machines.
I am also new to FMQ. While researching, I read repeatedly read that vertical hook machines are better for FMQ than those with horizontal hooks (drop in bobbins) because the thread must make a 90 degree turn in the stitch formation process with a (horizontal hook) drop-in bobbin that isn’t required with a vertical hook. Supposedly the horizontal hook is more likely to skip stitches and cause nesting under the fabric. Also, it is supposed to be easier to swap out the bobbin on a vertical hook machine when you run out of thread while quilting.

The newer popular machines that are sold specifically with FMQ in mind also have vertical hooks. I am thinking of the Brother PQ1500SL and the Juki TL-2010Q.

There are many people that will tell you that they are able to FMQ just fine with a drop-in bobbin. I have tried FMQ with my Singer 201-2 (drop-in bobbin) and had a fair amount of luck. People prefer the Singer 15-91, though, for FMQ because it does have the vertical hook. If you search that model here, you will see that it is very, very popular for FMQ. I am considering a Singer 15-91, but if I am going to buy a machine anyway then I might as well try to get one that does it all including decorative stitches! I hope that helps!

Last edited by KimberlyM; 06-26-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:02 PM

For specific purposes you just have to try a model, a lot has to do with getting to know it. I know there are expert quilters who have set up both model 66 and 201 especially for FMQ, and do nothing else on that particular machine. I've seen them used as portables on a table as well as on those large frames. I don't think it has to be 15 even if they are a favorite. The models aren't all the same, hook, race, bobbin case set up are different even between horizontally as well as vertically set bobbin models.

Either way, you are onto it and the proof is in the pudding.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
For specific purposes you just have to try a model, a lot has to do with getting to know it. I know there are expert quilters who have set up both model 66 and 201 especially for FMQ, and do nothing else on that particular machine. I've seen them used as portables on a table as well as on those large frames. I don't think it has to be 15 even if they are a favorite. The models aren't all the same, hook, race, bobbin case set up are different even between horizontally as well as vertically set bobbin models.

Either way, you are onto it and the proof is in the pudding.
I have heard that as well. My first attempts at FMQ with the 201-2 have been pretty successful. I did put the spool of thread on a stand behind the machine and that seemed to help.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:31 PM

Thank you for explaining the process for the bobbins. It is all very interesting. Good luck finding the perfect machine for you.