Old 06-26-2018, 01:59 PM
KimberlyM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Is there a special reason you require a vertical bobbin over the horizontal one? Is it personal preference? Is one better than the other for FMQ?

I'm just wondering and hope my question is reasonable as I'm still trying to learn about FMQ. My machines have FMQ and horizontal bobbins/decorative stitches but are not vintage machines.
I am also new to FMQ. While researching, I read repeatedly read that vertical hook machines are better for FMQ than those with horizontal hooks (drop in bobbins) because the thread must make a 90 degree turn in the stitch formation process with a (horizontal hook) drop-in bobbin that isn’t required with a vertical hook. Supposedly the horizontal hook is more likely to skip stitches and cause nesting under the fabric. Also, it is supposed to be easier to swap out the bobbin on a vertical hook machine when you run out of thread while quilting.

The newer popular machines that are sold specifically with FMQ in mind also have vertical hooks. I am thinking of the Brother PQ1500SL and the Juki TL-2010Q.

There are many people that will tell you that they are able to FMQ just fine with a drop-in bobbin. I have tried FMQ with my Singer 201-2 (drop-in bobbin) and had a fair amount of luck. People prefer the Singer 15-91, though, for FMQ because it does have the vertical hook. If you search that model here, you will see that it is very, very popular for FMQ. I am considering a Singer 15-91, but if I am going to buy a machine anyway then I might as well try to get one that does it all including decorative stitches! I hope that helps!

Last edited by KimberlyM; 06-26-2018 at 02:03 PM.