Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion quilting with a vertical bobbin machine versus other >

Free motion quilting with a vertical bobbin machine versus other

Free motion quilting with a vertical bobbin machine versus other

Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=Prism99;6355634]I think by vertical bobbin is simply meant a front-loading bobbin (instead of a drop-in bobbin). Terminology issue.

Or side-loading vertical bobbins, such as on the Featherweight and Singer 301.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Interesting. In vertical, do you mean it is positioned standing up on the side rather than laying down? I don't have a machine that the bobbin lays flat so I can't test that theory.

Yes, a vertical bobbin is in a metal case with the little lever to insert and take out. I also have a few sewing machines with horizontal or drop-in bobbin.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by bisbetica View Post
After taking a class with Leah Day on Craftsy, I learned that dropping feed dogs is not necessary and that leaving them up can help the tension issues. I have a drop in bobbin and I gave it a try - it worked! I don't have eyelashing and tension issues anymore. She also takes off the bar that goes on top of the presser foot of her darning foot. This way the foot does not hop and glides over the fabric smoothly. I suggest taking her class or looking at her website.
Thanks for the tips. Gives me a few more things to try.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:19 PM

The Janome 6600P has an accessory foot and bobbin case specifically for FMQ. Personally, my Janome 6600 does a great job with FMQ with its drop in bobbin, and my HQSweet Sixteen does great too with a front loading 'vertical' bobbin case.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Gay

I've done fmq with both types of bobbins with no problems, and always lower the feed dogs and use a quilting or hopping foot. Without the foot I find the needle and thread tends to pull the fabric up with them, even if it's hooped tightly. I believe eyelashing happens when the bobbin jerks instead of turning steadily, maybe from moving the fabric to fast or too far, also I have tried cutting a small circle of thin fabric or interfacing - with a hole in the centre if needed, place it into the casing before putting the bobbin in, and this seems to hold it firmer. If it's the top thread making the mess using a hopping foot should help solve it, besides it's slo easy to get a finger under the needle - ouch.
BTW I think all machines before early 90's had front or side loading bobbins, except treadles

Hope this helps
Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 PM

I find vertical bobbin easier with free motion because you can fill it easier without having to remove the quilt. Just go hunting under the top. I have not found any other difference.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:09 AM

I never heard of issues related to placement of the bobbin - something new to me. I might have to get the old Sears Kenmore out (which sewed like a dream) and try it. It's the only vertical bobbin machine I have - although I have FMQ on my Janome 6600P and much older New Home and haven't had a problem. Interesting . . .
Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 AM

My sister as well as I had this problem reset your tension higher may work clean bobbin one type of bobbin is better vertical
Old 10-19-2013, 10:39 AM

I had no problem with FMQ, until I bought a Viking Sapphire. Wow What a learning curve! I bought the Sapphire in 2009 and prior to that I was using a Bernina 1031(1992) and 930(1986) they both have the vertical bobbin system. The Sapphire has a drop in bobbin system. I find it much easier to use the Berninas, I just wish they had the huge throat space that the Sapphire has; it would be the best of both worlds.
Sharon
Old 10-19-2013, 10:41 AM
TMK

I believe that most quilting machines are vertical. Mine is. However, that could be for ease of loading the bobbin.