Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset >

Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset

Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset

Old 12-06-2010, 04:34 AM

Does anyone here quilt when they're angry, hurt, or upset (when those feelings aren't caused by actual quilting)? Perhaps seeing a finished block you pieced gives you enough joy to not worry what's bugging you. Or maybe cutting fabric with the rotary cutter (with new blades) gives just a little bit more satisfaction while doing it when you're ticked at somebody or about something.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

LOL!!! When I am angry I get the rotary cutter out and some fabric out and start cutting sq's or stripes. It seems to calm me down and with OCD and anxiety I need to settle as fast as possible.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 AM

I do quilt sometimes when I'm worried or upset, I think it calms me and forces me to concentrate on the task at hand. We all know quilting is good therapy! :)
Old 12-06-2010, 05:12 AM

That's what I'm through at right now.
But I just CAN't do anything related to quilting. Has happened once before. I'm just kind of "stuck", "paralysed" and it feels ugly. It's like being thirsty and cannot reach the water, simply cos you're not able to... :cry:
Old 12-06-2010, 05:13 AM

I do FMQ and piece when I am upset, angry and in pain. The pain is aggravated by sewing, which makes me angry. :roll:

If I am upset about a certain situation, I talk to DH and then go work on a quilt. I do have to be careful not to sit and sew and stew about whatever is bothering me.
JulieM
Old 12-06-2010, 05:17 AM

I just find that any type of craft is very calming to me. Although I have to say, being a newbie, I am pleasantly surprised at how much sewing calms me. I always hated the thought of sewing!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Yes!! It calms me down and takes me out of my head which is a really scary place to be sometimes!!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:52 AM

Yes, it takes the focus off whatever is making me unhappy/angry, etc. for awhile so I can sort through the situation. I usually get out my tote of 2" strips and make some string blocks because it's just slapping down strip after strip on a foundation square and sewing away, no need to be worried about making 'perfect' blocks. May in Jersey
Old 12-06-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
LOL!!! When I am angry I get the rotary cutter out and some fabric out and start cutting sq's or stripes. It seems to calm me down and with OCD and anxiety I need to settle as fast as possible.
I did that some of that myself this morning. My ex decided a couple days ago he was going to go on my Trench (the Kittie board's equivilant of a Personal Journal thread) and let me know what he thought of me (according to him, I'm selfish, heartless, and a bunch of other things that will get me banned if I say them), that he lied to me about his businesses going down the tube and that he has half a mil in the bank (not that I ever cared about his money, but that's a big thing to lie about), and that he was planning to dump me anyways (we never actually officially "broke up"---things happened and he got angry with me and stopped talking to me so I had to assume it was over). Why does he tell me this A MONTH AFTER we're over? And while he's badmouthing me he's trying to make himself look like the good guy...despite lying to me and saying that he was going to dump me (but he didn't because he "felt sorry for me"). I'm more mad than anything, but I'm also kind of hurt, too. And no thanks to him (and partially me because I exchanged words to defend myself), my Trench was locked by the mods so nobody can make new posts. Already vented to friends. Can't vent to mom without being critical towards me or going on a man hunt for the ex. Still feel angry.

Woke up this morning after having nightmares. Remembered the crap with the ex. Suddenly I felt like cutting the fabric I have been putting off. It was a little more satisfying to use that rotary cutter.
:thumbup:
Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 AM

I can't. For some reason, I would associate that item with the hurt I was feeling and never touch it again. I am weird like that.