Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts on hand for selling? >

Quilts on hand for selling?

Quilts on hand for selling?

Old 10-24-2013, 05:05 AM

Default Quilts on hand for selling?

Hi everyone,

I have an opportunity to do some boutiques. I have been trying to sell hot pad and dishtowel set, but I live in a state where people seem to know how to make almost everything. I have thought of doing blankets (flannel, fleece, minkee) and quilts that people could buy for Christmas gifts or other occassions. My question is, what colors and styles would you make ahead of time? I am not sure what colors seem to be the most popular right now. I am doing a shop hop in the next few days, and they have some really great deals, so I thought if I could get some of the fabrics on sale, it would help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2013, 05:14 AM
dd

I would think neutral colors in different patterns would be best. Then if they see something they really like, they can always ask if you will do it in custom colors for them.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:19 AM

Good question - some tell me that retro is in, 50s - 60s. So is that the strange aqua, oranges and pok-a-dots? I made some tissue covers some in what I call mod colors/designs and some in more lady like materials. They both sold. So my suggestions is to do one of each and see what sells. The lady who runs our local artist shop here thought aprons where in and the more like moms the better, my friend made a slew of them and not one has sold.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

I use to do a lot of shows and I found that house boutiques were where I sold the most quilts. Unfortunately, you will find that people will give lots of compliments but that doesn't help pay the bills. I kept thinking of putting out a tip jar for compliments but never did !! I would suggest that you do small quilts or table runners that would be quick to make. You want to keep your cost low so that you are able to make some profits. GOOD LUCK !!!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:44 AM

I think children related items would do well. People always need things for baby showers. Baby quilts, busy books, bibs, car organizers, etc. Seems when my kids were young, I would purchase things for them before I would purchase for myself.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:53 AM

These are some great ideas. I have almost decided I need to move to a state where people don't do their own quilting and stuff, but I am not sure where that would be. I like the idea of kids quilts and things for kids. I also think I may do some table runners and see how those do.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

For ten or more years it is very hard to sell anything around here and make the cost of goods used. Everyone likes the stuff, just not buy it. Most women are just getting ideas. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I gave up trying to see quilts at craft shows. They want them for the price of a Walmart blanket. You can buy a quilt for $20 dollars at Walmart as one of our members did. Likewise beautiful fleece blankets for less. Who can compete with that?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:56 AM

I sell on etsy, and in a local childrens store... Small quilts (42X42 seems to sell the best) nap mat covers, diaper bags/ carry all bags seem to sell the best. I also do childrens clothing, such as little dresses, vests and ruffle bottom pants, but almost all the clothing I do is made to order. Good Luck!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:22 AM

I agree with the baby or lap quilt sizes. People are much more likely to splurge on a small quilt, than a bed-sized one. Since baby quilts/blankets are so easy to find, make yours extra special.

Generic
'I Spy' baby/lap-sized quilts would probably get some attention . . . but don't make them too 'babyish' because babies grow quickly! Think more toddler/young child pictures, in bright colors.

Another idea - Shabby Chic baby/lap quilts. I've known fellow-grandmas/great-grandmas of baby girls, who'd have snatched up something like that, in a heartbeat. Avoid baby prints and go for delicate florals, soft colors, with scalloped borders. Some of these could also be appropriate for elderly ladies, in nursing homes.

You might also try a few walker or wheelchair bags.