Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts on hand for selling? >

Quilts on hand for selling?

Quilts on hand for selling?

Old 10-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Wow, Utah is a tough state. Seems many of the most talented quilters on the net are in Utah.

I have to agree that quilts at craft fairs are a tough sell. No one buys, they are just there to get ideas and go home and make it themselves. Never had any luck selling quilts in craft shows. Had better luck putting them on consignment in a gift shop. I don't know of a boutique is the same idea or not. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 AM

That minky fabric seems to be popular because it is so so so soft, people love that. But I agree the smaller baby size or lap quilts seem to move the best (probably because you wouldn't have to charge as much)
Old 10-24-2013, 08:12 AM

I think blue sells best of all........it is traditional. Nothing trendy. lap quilts in common patterns. Something that looks difficult but is easy to do.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:42 AM

Here's a couple of ideas: A lot of people are camping these days, pot holders or small items with camping theme or trailer shape would make nice hostess gifts etc. Wine bottle holders also a hostess gift. Also small pillows with cute sayings on them. Bibs, those little "piece of a quilt" ( 12"x12" made of super soft and/or silky fabric for child to hang onto. My cousin paid a fortune at a very expensive store for a baby shower gift, it turned out to be the baby's favorite thing of all time. If you have embroidery capacity, you could always personalize items after they are paid for. I live in Orange County California and most people would much rather buy something then try to stay home and make things. I have done boutiques for years, I made hair accessories and I found nothing sells better than hair accessories at a boutique. I will share my secret with all of you: nothing grabs the attention of a buyer like fragrances, I made trivets out of fabric and scented rice inside, I used cinnamon and clove oil, I sold every single one. People are drawn by the yummy fragrance. Don't try it if you have an inside booth though too strong. I played soft relaxing piano music and and sprayed some perfume in the air to create a total experience. I did very well with hair accessories, I had orders for girls soccer and dance teams.
As for colors, for home items like table runners etc. I would go with the latest colors: Yellow and grey, turquoise and grey, black and white w tiny bit of a color like red. Christmas designs/colors are always great. Even if the recipient has different colors, they still like something that is the latest color, it updates. ( try going to fabric.com and check out the coordinating fabric suites. Good luck to you.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:45 AM
Power Poster

The smaller the item is and the lower the price, the better items sell. I have found that I do get inquiries about larger quilts being made when I have small quilts displayed to sell like baby quilts, lap quilts and rag quilts. Good luck to you.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:01 AM

I agree with all of the above, small items sell much better. Quilts do not sell as people do not realize the cost and time that goes into making them. Also any item that has a theme fabric in it sells well. Tablerunners, tabletoppers, small purses, maybe a few totes etc. might be the betterr way to go.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:53 AM

Smaller items that sell for less money seem to be the best sellers. I tried baby quilts and had very little success because people thought they cost too much, or they didn't have the disposable income to afford them. Kitchen items, baby items, dog and cat toys and placemats, camera straps and covers, usually sell much better. I once used a scrap of gray sweatshirt material wrong side out and made little mice with leather thong tails for cat toys...A lady bought one for her kitty and came back the next day and bought all the rest that I had...said her cat played all night with the one she bought previously and didn't want to be without them ever again! LOL You just never know for sure what will sell.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:54 AM

I also live in Utah and we do seem to have our share of talented people! I vote for bags! they seem to be the rage here in Utah! also scarfs seem to be very popular. I've made some with a lacy type yarn and they are fast and easy! good luck!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:38 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

don't forget the eternity scarf! very popular and easy and we all purchase for our furbabies! don't rule out dog coats and stuffed or padded/quilted dog beds and blankets. bed runners in neutral colors. and the things I've found to be a favorite are the oven mitts that are hmm how to explain, both hands but connected. well good luck. don't forget wallets, coupon holders, and change purses and travel/makeup bags. I made my son in law a shaving kit to deploy with him and now he is home but in the reserves he takes it on his weekend trainings.
Originally Posted by justducky65 View Post
I think children related items would do well. People always need things for baby showers. Baby quilts, busy books, bibs, car organizers, etc. Seems when my kids were young, I would purchase things for them before I would purchase for myself.

Last edited by cherrio; 10-25-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by hsquiltingmom View Post
These are some great ideas. I have almost decided I need to move to a state where people don't do their own quilting and stuff, but I am not sure where that would be. I like the idea of kids quilts and things for kids. I also think I may do some table runners and see how those do.
Don't come to Oklahoma. We are running out of elbow room here. I think everyone does something. LOL