Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quilts for hot climates

Cool quilts for hot climates

I want to make a quilt for a friend that lives in Palm Desert, CA. What kind of batting should I use? No batting? Flannel? Ideas from the warm climates are appreciated.

Blog Entries
    They are often called 'summer quilts'. You can use flannel as a batt, or no batt at all, however, if your friend runs her A/C a lot, you might just want to go with warm and natural. It's cotton and it breathes.
    This has been discussed before on the board. Here are a couple of links:
    How to make a summer quilt?
    Batting for a Summer Quilt?
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I live in Virginia where we often have temps over 90+ degrees in the summer. Since the AC runs, I adore my gentle wool batting quilt for naps and even at night. Wool is very light, soft, and breathes; I find it much more comfortable than Warm and Natural or other cottons. The batting I used was Hobbs wool which is carried by Connecting Threads and is often on sale. Yes, it can be washed just fine.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Palm Desert may be hot during the summer days, but it can get very cold at night. Some people keep their houses on the cooler side and appreciate warmer quilts. If it's not going to be a surprise, you could ask her whether she uses quilts or blankets to keep warm or just as lightweight covers.

As a S. Texas resident I am an expert in heat! My quilt showcases itself on the quilt stand in my bedroom. I was usually picking it up off the floor because of being too hot. So I made a bed runner. Use only a sheet with it in the summer and a down blanket in the winter. Just LOVE it. Perfect weight. You could make her a couple of bed runners.

You need to ask your friend about her particular sleeping habits. Here in Central Texas in the summer with the central A/C running full blast we don't even cover up with a sheet.

I use flannel for backing and not batting. Quilting doesn't show up as much so I make sure the piecing is really really the focus.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Thank so much! These are all good ideas. Your helpful suggestions give me several options to consider.

I live a few miles from your friend. It does get cold here in the winter nights, I'm using two quilts now. I use light or medium batting, either cotton or poly. Tonight will be about 35 degrees. Almost any batting will do. In summer I use only one quilt and usually kick part of it off.
    Mary

i agree with the wool batting- it is lightweight, lofty, soft & breaths- my quilt that lives on the bed in the summer time is the one with wool batting- w & n is so heavy---& poly doesn't breath...also flannel is very warm- wool is a great choice- either the hobbs wool or dream wool are both fabulous batts- totally washable- a dream to work with
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy