Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In quite a tizzy here! Purple & Orange?? >

In quite a tizzy here! Purple & Orange??

In quite a tizzy here! Purple & Orange??

Old 03-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by luckylindy333
Originally Posted by katier825
Here's one I did. The pattern is Lucky Stars by Atkinson Designs. Very easy pattern!
I love this quilt- I am in a strip robin here on the board and told the others that my theme is purple and orange. I hope it does not purplex everyone... I just love purple orange and red. I would put an off-white with it, though, I hate white...
How about a pastel yellow instead of white?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 PM

the d9p is very simple once you get going on it and it would be awesome in those colors. Check it out for sure!
Originally Posted by PJisChaos
Originally Posted by okiepastor
Those colors could blend quite nicely, though it will be somewhat startling...Only solids, or prints, batiks, etc.????
I saw an amazing wall somewhere in a restaurant in NM years ago that was purple and orange---
Really slapped you in the eye, but gorgeous, like a sunset.
What about a D9P?
Yeah, that's what I worry about. Don't want it blinding the poor woman! :wink:
I really don't know what to do with this request. I have spent a week trying to come up with something and have gotten nowhere. I was thinking pastels or small prints wouldn't be so in-your-face, I don't understand the D9P enough to try it. Maybe I will search some more on that idea as well. Thanks for the input!

Where is Clemson Uni? She is born and raised here in OK so I really don't know if she's a fan or not..?
Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 AM

Think FedEx. Ah, FedEx and Tennessee. The "T" pattern is a good 2 color
Old 03-12-2011, 06:40 AM

catching up (a little bit) on this thread. I bet this looks awesome when you are done.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:05 AM

Definitely the New York Beauty, it would be stunning and it would work really well with the colours to create a fabulous sunset effect. I presume you'll be using a mix of fabrics, not just one of each? So that you could have bits of red in the fabrics, for instance (I tend to think in batiks) which would help pull the whole thing together.

If you do end up using white in the quilt, don't forget to prewash your fabrics, otherwise those purples and oranges will probably wreck the white the first time the quilt is washed.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:07 AM

Several years ago I experimented with purple and orange. I believe Hobby Lobby has a flower print with both colors on a white background. How about trying a bowtie quilt.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 AM

I like both patterns but think the green would distract from it, I would rather see different fabrics still in purple and orange. Same color just different, to add some interest and texture
Old 03-13-2011, 07:41 AM

I did a purple and orange quilt a number of years ago as a wedding gift. The bride's favorite color is orange while the groom's favorite color is purple. The solution was quite simple. I used batiks! I found a variety of purpley bakits and orangey batiks ranging from lights to darks and they worked beautifully together! Since I was making a wedding quilt and I didn't want to go all the way to double wedding ring, I used Tennessee Waltz, which, when the lights and darks are placed appropriately, looks a bit like a double wedding ring.

The issue isn't so much as what pattern you choose, but what fabric you choose. Once you have found your "right" fabric, you can do any pattern you wish!
Old 03-13-2011, 02:45 PM

What about Night and Day? or some other reversible motif?
Old 03-13-2011, 02:58 PM

i am soooooooo not a fan of orange but I do love purple. i think that using an orange batik and purple batiks it would help. and you don't even have to do a pumpkin orange. you can do shades of orange that are closer to red and yellow with the purples. I would definitely "audition" all the fabrics that you do choose to go with. and make sure that you keep all the fabrics with you when you are hunting different shops. it will help with shades of the colors.