Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Raffle Quilt Question >

Raffle Quilt Question

Raffle Quilt Question

Old 10-21-2016, 09:03 PM

our Guild usually does queen size cause that seems most popular in our area. color doesn't seem to be their most important feature but rather one that is unique enough that that people, especially quilters since we sell tickets at quilting events like shop hops, shows, etc, look at it and think "I love that and I would never take the time (or have the skills) to do one myself" and will buy tickets.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:47 AM

I know that if you made a quilt with orange and black with motorcycles and Harley emblems, you will sell a lot of tickets.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:00 AM

My small (12) quilt group has made raffle quilts for several years now, but for our specific annual charity project- cancer. We donate the proceeds to our LOCAL County Cancer Organization. All of the money in our local Org. stays in our county and is used to assist anyone in the county that needs help with gas money or motel costs when they go out of town for treatment - which they must do if they live in our county. Myself and one other in our group have had cancer and one quilters spouse - all 3 of us are cancer free or are in remission currently. Prayers are answered!!!
We have had very good results with our raffles and for the last few years the drawing and as been held at our local Rodeo in June on "Tough enough to wear Pink night". We usually sell a lot of tickets during the Rodeo time. We have our quilt for 2017 finished and are currently selling tickets -this quilt is a T-shirt quilt - tied, made with T-shirts of past years Rodeo T-shirts which were donated for making a quilt. Hopefully we will sell more tickets this year since we will have a much longer time to sell them. We didn't make a quilt for 2016, as we had planned to raffle this quilt, but did not get it completed in time.
We were able to contribute over $900.00 in 2015 after our cost of LA quilting and only had a couple of months to sell tickets. Most people in this county are extremely generous because they know specifically where the money is going

Last edited by Gerbie; 10-22-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:16 AM

Cost of the tickets is a factor, as well. In our area they are usually $1 for one or 6 for $5. One group had a gorgeous quilt available for raffle but the tickets were $10 each! I don't know how many tickets were sold but I think most folks would spring for the 6 for $5 offer more easily. A generous throw size up through queen would be what would attract me. Throws can used anywhere but bed sized ones might "need" to be more in keeping with the colors of bedrooms unless they are neutral colors that will blend with anything.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:20 AM

We do something different with our tickets at our raffle. We have tickets, but the buyers do not get them. They put their name in the tablet next to the numbers they have bought. They only have to write their name once with a line and arrow to the last number of their tickets. The tickets themselves go into the pot to be drawn.

When we draw the number, it's easy to look at the list and find out who has that ticket. If you don't have to be present to win, it's an easy way. And people don't have to stand there and write their name on all the tickets they bought.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:27 AM

The quilt club I belong to does a raffle quilt every year. Most people seem to want a queen size. The quilts that have done the best in ticket sales have been gender neutral. This years quilt was in rich blues and greens and it did extremely well in ticket sales. Even the men commented on the colors. If I can find a picture I will post it
Old 10-22-2016, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Vicki1212 View Post
My suggestions would be a quilt with a neutral background i.e. white, grey, etc., and pops of colour in the design. For me, a quilt with colour throughout and no neutral colour would be more difficult to fit into a particular colour scheme. Size wise, my suggestion would be a large lap quilt i.e. small enough to move around the house for cuddling under but big enough to fit over a single bed or folded on the bottom of a double bed for pulling up. I have added links below to the kinds of quilts I would buy tickets for.

http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2016/...-patterns.html

https://beechtreelanehandmade.com/20...d-scrap-quilt/

I wouldn't buy a ticket for a very traditional quilt, a quilt with a theme i.e. cats, hearts, etc. or a quilt with a very definite colour scheme. Just my thoughts. Good luck with your raffle quilt! I'm sure it's going to be awesome and please share when it is finished.
Your comment is right on. I also consider men's opinion. I find that they are buying tickets more now than in the past. I have given up on queen quilts because as vicki says that are not as useful as a smaller 'move around' quilt.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:12 AM

Audrey, our guild has found that blue quilts seem to sell better. I would make it large enough to cover a full bed. We usually make the quilt large enough to cover a double bed, but, depending on the pattern, we have made intricate queen-sized ones.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
We do something different with our tickets at our raffle. We have tickets, but the buyers do not get them. They put their name in the tablet next to the numbers they have bought. They only have to write their name once with a line and arrow to the last number of their tickets. The tickets themselves go into the pot to be drawn.

When we draw the number, it's easy to look at the list and find out who has that ticket. If you don't have to be present to win, it's an easy way. And people don't have to stand there and write their name on all the tickets they bought.
This is a great idea. I would often buy more tickets if I didn't have to write my name and info so many times.