Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rag quilt

Seeing the earlier topic brought to mind a question I need an answer to.

Am helping a non sewing/quilting friend make a rag quilt. This project was started last fall and put aside by her.

We started with 5" sqs. Let me say I have never made one of these. I read online somewhere that you use a 1" seam allowance. Now I read this after we had cut all the squares 5". So last night I cut the cotton batting into 3" square to allow for the 1" seam allowance. The earlier post says 1/2" to 3/4", which does seem more reasonable. Let me mention that she has sewn a X through the 5" square sandwich.

So my question is:::::

Since I cut the batting 1" smaller all the way around (3" sq) and if we sew 1/2" to 3/4" seam ( really think the 1/2" would be better) what will that do to the batting since it will not be to the edge where the seam allowance is sewn ? It will be short will it bunch up and be a mess?

I sure hope I explained this well enough.

Help.

Denise

My thinking is if she has sewin the batting into her material 'sandwich' with the X...that should hold the batting in place wouldnt it?? I also thought (I've only made one of these) the bigger the fringe along the sides, the more it will fray and get that soft worn look??

Melinda

i was also thinking of the x ---i have made several but i have not put in batting