Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Raggy Quilt Question

Hello to all you helpful folks! I have searched on the forums and have read who-knows-how-many posts about raggy quilts, and have looked at the links shared about these quilts, but I have some questions I can't seem to find answers for.... Of course, I have an "Inquiring mind" and I want to know!

I plan to do a raggy quilt from denim for my mom. She lives in a mild climate (San Diego, CA), though, and I don't plan on using a backing - just the one layer of denim. It may be a silly question, however, do you sew from edge-to-edge on the squares, or do you sew with a 1/2 inch allowance around the blocks?

Also, when snipping the fringe, does there end up being a solid square at the corners of the blocks, as you have to be careful not to cut out chunks?

Thank you all, in advance for the help you're going to offer!

altho I have made a few rag quilts these are questions I have often pondered about so I will be interested in the answers to

Quote Originally Posted by litacats
    altho I have made a few rag quilts these are questions I have often pondered about so I will be interested in the answers to
    Glad to know I am not alone! =)

Blog Entries
    I am curious as to how others do this also. Will be watching this topic...

I use more than a 1/2" seam allowance for the edges.

Yes, you do miss a small hunk out of the corners but when you sew the blocks together it isn't really noticed. It is only seen at the outer corners of the quilt.

Personally, I love my flannel raggedy quilt. I did use warm & natural batting, but could have omitted it if I wanted. I live in Phoenix, AZ and love that it is so soft and cuddly.

ali

I just made a rag quilt out of flannel. I would think you would need backing just for the raggy effect on the front. I wouldn't think just two fabrics together would produce much rag.

I use 1 inch seam allowance, and seams are on the right side. If you use one layer of demin, that is all you have to "rag". But should look all right. In CA, batting might make it too warm.

Quote Originally Posted by AliKat
    I use more than a 1/2" seam allowance for the edges.

Yes, you do miss a small hunk out of the corners but when you sew the blocks together it isn't really noticed. It is only seen at the outer corners of the quilt.

ali
    ** Ali - how much seam allowance do you give yourself? **

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking
    I use 1 inch seam allowance, and seams are on the right side. If you use one layer of demin, that is all you have to "rag". But should look all right. In CA, batting might make it too warm.
    Justlooking - Definitely not using a batting for mom's denim quilt. I think the denim alone will be plenty warm. I figured that, if she moved, or wanted it to be heavier, I could go back and add a backing to it and tie it together, just fringing the outside edges. I thought it would be really fun to sew some cute patches to the denim.

Do you all still sew the blocks edge-to-edge as you would in a "normal" quilt?

bj
    [/quote]Do you all still sew the blocks edge-to-edge as you would in a "normal" quilt?[/quote]

I do.

Hi SOB - soft ocean breeze,

I use about a 1" seam allowance. I like to alternate one big block with a grouping of a 4 patch block the same size. Though you could use any configuration you want for alternate blocks.

Yes, all the seam ends - the raggedy part - are on one side. That's what give the raggedy effect. Then when all are together I stitch a seam around the outer edges of the quilt to keep it together so it can be used without worry it will fall apart.

Two pieces of flannel sewn together with diagonal stitching from the corners would hold the quilt together without batting.

ali

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast