Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Raggy Quilt Question

I am in the process of making my first raggy quilt. The construction part is done and I am now clipping seams.

I am now wondering if I could of made things easier??

I used three layers of flannel to make the quilt and pressed seams to either side when I was joining the squares....wondering if it would have been wiser to open the seams when joining?? Or would it make any difference at all?? Just wondering what all you Professional "raggy" quilters do?? Any instruction I have found online so far has not been that specific??
    Any suggestions??

Barb

It depends on how many layers your scissors will cut through. If yours will cut through six layers of flannel then I would have layed them all to one side. I however refuse to purchase high dollar (always super sharp) scissors because I KNOW someone will find them no matter where they are put up and use them to either cut paper or even worse cut something outside including but not limited to being used as wire cutters! Therefore I open my seams up and only cut three layers at a time!

with a sharp pr of scissors I cut thru all six layers being careful not to cut the seam, if you do nick the seam just re-stitch it with a little extra stitches on either side. I don't understand why you pressed it open one way then the other. I don't press mine at all except from the back if it neads it,

Blog Entries
    I never press mine either way, never press at all :lol:
    And my layers are only 4 as I cut my middle ( batting) shorter so that it is not part of the ragging . And with 4 I use the snips easily :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    It depends on how many layers your scissors will cut through. If yours will cut through six layers of flannel then I would have layed them all to one side. I however refuse to purchase high dollar (always super sharp) scissors because I KNOW someone will find them no matter where they are put up and use them to either cut paper or even worse cut something outside including but not limited to being used as wire cutters! Therefore I open my seams up and only cut three layers at a time!
    Oh Danni I feel your pain! Years ago I started tying ribbons around my scissors so no one else would take them. That said I made sure I had plenty of cheapies lying around for the rest of the family!!

I lay the seams open when sewing my rag quilts. Then I use "6 1/2" rag quilting snips" to cut the edges. The snips are super sharp and make the ragging process much easier, faster, and less stress on your hand. Hope this helps.

I guess I didn't word things very well.....I didn't actually "press" the seams....just turned them to one side rather then opening the seam up??? If that makes any more sense?? I don't really think it makes alot of difference in the long run...and I'm not having to much problems clipping....just wondered how everyone else did theirs?? LOL always wondering if I'm missing something!!

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by NancyG
    I lay the seams open when sewing my rag quilts. Then I use "6 1/2" rag quilting snips" to cut the edges. The snips are super sharp and make the ragging process much easier, faster, and less stress on your hand. Hope this helps.
    Thanks Nancy.....I will probably try laying the seams open on the next one I do....and see if it is easier.....and I also bought the rag quilting snips before I even started....lol...no way I was tackling this project with regular scissors!!

Power Poster
    I have a great sharp scissors that has a spring, it works great.

I've always wondered if the rag scissors were worth the price?? :-)

I've done them just about every way possible, and can't tell a difference. The snipping is just a mess and a pain. After my first one, I got the spring loaded rag snips and they have been a life saver.

I just let my seams fall where they fall. I find that if I try to "direct" them one way or the other, they tend to misbehave and I tend to get upset with them....LOL
    I enjoy makeing rag quilts and have even made a couple of reversible ones. I put my sons and their fiancee's initials on the backs!

Well....my rag quilt is done......I have washed and dried it about 4 times......and I am HUGELY disappointed!! :(

Used 3 layers of flannel....."quilt shop" flannels....alternating blocks...one larger block with a cute duck pattern in primary colors and the alternating blocks were 4 patch blocks done in primary colours.....looked really cute before I washed it. After washing the fabrics looked awful...lint from the ragging was all over the 4 patch blocks...which seemed like they were pilling?? I took a lint shaver to it and it looked better until I washed it again....:(

I'm guessing the primary color flannels were just not a great quality?? I dunno...trying to talk myself into trying again.....but am not sure what to change?? Do I use cottons instead of flannels or if I stick with flannels how do I make sure they won't end up doing the same thing.....Do you wash you flannels separately first??

Discouraged!! :(

The instructions say not to wash the flannel first because it will have a more "raggedy" look but I always wash my flannel because, like you found out, some of it is good and some of it may not be so good,and only washing itfirst will let you know that.

I also use 3 layers of flannel but I cut the center layer 2" smaller than the top and bottom layer. That way I still have that extra piece of flannel for warmth but I'm only cutting 4 vs. 6 layers.