Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Raggy Quilt Question >

Raggy Quilt Question

Raggy Quilt Question

Old 09-12-2010, 07:16 AM

I am in the process of making my first raggy quilt. The construction part is done and I am now clipping seams.

I am now wondering if I could of made things easier??

I used three layers of flannel to make the quilt and pressed seams to either side when I was joining the squares....wondering if it would have been wiser to open the seams when joining?? Or would it make any difference at all?? Just wondering what all you Professional "raggy" quilters do?? Any instruction I have found online so far has not been that specific??
Any suggestions??

Barb
Old 09-12-2010, 07:26 AM

It depends on how many layers your scissors will cut through. If yours will cut through six layers of flannel then I would have layed them all to one side. I however refuse to purchase high dollar (always super sharp) scissors because I KNOW someone will find them no matter where they are put up and use them to either cut paper or even worse cut something outside including but not limited to being used as wire cutters! Therefore I open my seams up and only cut three layers at a time!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:30 AM

with a sharp pr of scissors I cut thru all six layers being careful not to cut the seam, if you do nick the seam just re-stitch it with a little extra stitches on either side. I don't understand why you pressed it open one way then the other. I don't press mine at all except from the back if it neads it,
Old 09-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

I never press mine either way, never press at all :lol:
And my layers are only 4 as I cut my middle ( batting) shorter so that it is not part of the ragging . And with 4 I use the snips easily :thumbup:
Old 09-12-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
It depends on how many layers your scissors will cut through. If yours will cut through six layers of flannel then I would have layed them all to one side. I however refuse to purchase high dollar (always super sharp) scissors because I KNOW someone will find them no matter where they are put up and use them to either cut paper or even worse cut something outside including but not limited to being used as wire cutters! Therefore I open my seams up and only cut three layers at a time!
Oh Danni I feel your pain! Years ago I started tying ribbons around my scissors so no one else would take them. That said I made sure I had plenty of cheapies lying around for the rest of the family!!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:03 AM

I lay the seams open when sewing my rag quilts. Then I use "6 1/2" rag quilting snips" to cut the edges. The snips are super sharp and make the ragging process much easier, faster, and less stress on your hand. Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 AM

I guess I didn't word things very well.....I didn't actually "press" the seams....just turned them to one side rather then opening the seam up??? If that makes any more sense?? I don't really think it makes alot of difference in the long run...and I'm not having to much problems clipping....just wondered how everyone else did theirs?? LOL always wondering if I'm missing something!!

Barb
Old 09-12-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by NancyG
I lay the seams open when sewing my rag quilts. Then I use "6 1/2" rag quilting snips" to cut the edges. The snips are super sharp and make the ragging process much easier, faster, and less stress on your hand. Hope this helps.
Thanks Nancy.....I will probably try laying the seams open on the next one I do....and see if it is easier.....and I also bought the rag quilting snips before I even started....lol...no way I was tackling this project with regular scissors!!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

I have a great sharp scissors that has a spring, it works great.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:28 AM

I've always wondered if the rag scissors were worth the price?? :-)