Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Raggy Quilt Question >

Raggy Quilt Question

Raggy Quilt Question

Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 AM

I've done them just about every way possible, and can't tell a difference. The snipping is just a mess and a pain. After my first one, I got the spring loaded rag snips and they have been a life saver.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:51 AM

I just let my seams fall where they fall. I find that if I try to "direct" them one way or the other, they tend to misbehave and I tend to get upset with them....LOL
I enjoy makeing rag quilts and have even made a couple of reversible ones. I put my sons and their fiancee's initials on the backs!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:24 PM

Well....my rag quilt is done......I have washed and dried it about 4 times......and I am HUGELY disappointed!! :(

Used 3 layers of flannel....."quilt shop" flannels....alternating blocks...one larger block with a cute duck pattern in primary colors and the alternating blocks were 4 patch blocks done in primary colours.....looked really cute before I washed it. After washing the fabrics looked awful...lint from the ragging was all over the 4 patch blocks...which seemed like they were pilling?? I took a lint shaver to it and it looked better until I washed it again....:(

I'm guessing the primary color flannels were just not a great quality?? I dunno...trying to talk myself into trying again.....but am not sure what to change?? Do I use cottons instead of flannels or if I stick with flannels how do I make sure they won't end up doing the same thing.....Do you wash you flannels separately first??

Discouraged!! :(
Old 09-14-2010, 06:48 PM

The instructions say not to wash the flannel first because it will have a more "raggedy" look but I always wash my flannel because, like you found out, some of it is good and some of it may not be so good,and only washing itfirst will let you know that.

I also use 3 layers of flannel but I cut the center layer 2" smaller than the top and bottom layer. That way I still have that extra piece of flannel for warmth but I'm only cutting 4 vs. 6 layers.