Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Raw Edge applique - fray check? >

Raw Edge applique - fray check?

Raw Edge applique - fray check?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:44 AM

I was wondering about something. For those of you who do raw edge applique and just straight stitch the edges in clear thread (landscape quilts for example), do you then use fray check on the edges?

I'm beginning to handle my landscape quilt a lot now that I'm adding foreground elements to it and I noticed that some of the edges are a little "hairy". I plan on quilting it fairly heavy in some areas so that will help.

Should I wait until after I quilt it then "paint" fray check on the areas that may still need it?

I don't yet know how the quilt will be used by the intended owner. I plan on making it large enough for a decent sized lap quilt, but they may choose to hang it. I'd rather prepare it for "use" than have it come to pieces.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Just dropping by here, to learn more about the product!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Interesting post........I've used fray check a bunch making colorguard flags, it lasted on them, but they were never washed (did get rained on plenty ;) ). It did discolor some of the fabrics, made the edges darker and it's nearly impossible to put it on perfectly without blobs here and there. I have a phobia about raw edges, even on wallhangings that I can't seem to get over so I usually (always) avoid them.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:31 AM

I always finish theedges on appliqué then I dont worry. Gives me a chance to learn embroidery stitches!!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

I have found that I prefer batiks for raw edge applique. They fray much less than regular cotton fabric. The few times I have tried fray check, I didn't like the colour changes on the fabric edge. I found it more annoying then than the frays.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
I have found that I prefer batiks for raw edge applique. They fray much less than regular cotton fabric. The few times I have tried fray check, I didn't like the colour changes on the fabric edge. I found it more annoying then than the frays.
These are batiks. So i should be OK?

I've only used fray check in tiny dabs on thread ends after quilting and did not notice color changes in the fabric. i've got plenty of scraps for all the fabic I used I suppose I could write my name in fray check or something to see what happens.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Try fray check on a separate sample of batik and see if you like it. I try to stitch a row of stitches about 1/16 to 1/8 along all my edges before FM thread painting/quilting in the center. Sounds like it's going to be wonderful whatever you decide to do!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

if you choose to use fray check i would wait until it is all done then go over the areas you want-the fray check will put a line of (stiffness) where ever you add it.
i don't quite understand- raw edge applique always has...raw edges- hence the name- it is normal for the (hairy edges) that's raw-edge...
if you want to avoid that i would use a different applique technique- or it helps to use a tiny zigzag or blanket stitch.