Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fray Check for Applique?? >

Fray Check for Applique??

Fray Check for Applique??

Old 11-09-2018, 09:36 AM

Default Fray Check for Applique??

I am learning to applique, and when cutting out the applique fabric shapes have been clipping the deep inside curves/points to about 3-4 threads from the pattern edge.

I am wondering if I should use Fray Check on the fabric edges? I have looked online and don't think I have ever seen anyone mentioning problems with fraying applique edges, even though I know from general sewing that this can be a real problem. I am tempted to put Fray Check on ALL the fabric edges, but it does seem like overkill when I stop to think about it.

I do intend to wash any quilts I make, occasionally.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or recommendations? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:43 AM

I have used Fray check before, and it leaves a slightly harsh finish, or it did years ago when I used it. Don't know about these days. I gather you are doing needle turn applique? I do machine and am tempted to try the method of making a backing for the applique piece, then turning it so there are no raw edges, then sewing down with a blanket stitch. You can use a variety of backings, Heat-N-Bond lite and iron it on, or a thin Pellon or the same fabric as the applique piece.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:51 AM

Pearl Pereira of 3P Designs has a tutorial that shows how she uses Fray Block. Here's a link to that ............. Personally, I use a very small dab of Aleene's Ok to Wash It (permanent fabric glue) on my inside clipped curves.

https://www.p3designs.com/tutorials.htm

Last edited by Sync; 11-09-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:22 PM

A couple of things. If you are just beginning needle turn appliqué purchase as tightly woven fabric as you can. Batiks are great. Next. Inside points clip like you are. Turn the edge under as far as you have clipped then bring the thread up from the bottom a few threads beyond the clip. For your next stitch do an overcast going front to Back only through the appliqué piece, coming up again beyond the clip. Now pull this stitch down TIGHT. Notice that the raw edge has now started to turn. If you still have a bit of fray you can do more than one overcast. As far as outside points ALWAYS ALWAYS take two stitches at the point to lock that point in place. Turn the point and continue on.
hope this helps
Old 11-09-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Grannies G View Post
Turn the edge under as far as you have clipped then bring the thread up from the bottom a few threads beyond the clip. For your next stitch do an overcast going front to Back only through the appliqué piece, coming up again beyond the clip. Now pull this stitch down TIGHT. Notice that the raw edge has now started to turn.
Is there a video somewhere that show this? I *think* I understand what you're saying, but would like to see it done, just for clarity.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:05 PM

Fray Block doesn't get hard like Fray Check. Make sure you don't wet the edge of the fabric so far that it will show on the applique. Usually those products change the color of the fabric (make it darker), so make sure your application of the fray product stays within your turn under seam allowance.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:02 AM

You can use a lightweight stabilizer like Heat and Bond light, then it won't fray. You have to be careful with Fray check, it can get hard, I use it for serging and I only use a drop. I've heard if you iron it, it softens but I haven't tried that.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grannies G View Post
A couple of things. If you are just beginning needle turn appliqué purchase as tightly woven fabric as you can. Batiks are great. Next. Inside points clip like you are. Turn the edge under as far as you have clipped then bring the thread up from the bottom a few threads beyond the clip. For your next stitch do an overcast going front to Back only through the appliqué piece, coming up again beyond the clip. Now pull this stitch down TIGHT. Notice that the raw edge has now started to turn. If you still have a bit of fray you can do more than one overcast. As far as outside points ALWAYS ALWAYS take two stitches at the point to lock that point in place. Turn the point and continue on.
hope this helps
A very good description of doing the stitches.