Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Rayon and Poly Thread question. Help please?

  1. #1
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,974
    I am getting ready to do a quilt that has applique circles. I have both rayon and poly thread. BUT not all the colors I want in one or the other. Soooo, can I use 2 colors of the rayon and 2 colors of the poly? There is also a little machine embroidery, too.

    I appreciate the help a bunch. New to applique and still learning Mach embroidery.

    P.S. the poly seams as shining as the rayon and I am using oriental prints with shiny gold touches.

  2. #2
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    12,868
    Blog Entries
    1
    I just took a quilting class and we used all sorts of threads for all sorts of applications. Before this class, I would have been a scardicat and stuck with all cotton. Now, I say - the shinier the better, mix and match. Both types you mentioned can be washed - so why not?

  3. #3
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,974
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I just took a quilting class and we used all sorts of threads for all sorts of applications. Before this class, I would have been a scardicat and stuck with all cotton. Now, I say - the shinier the better, mix and match. Both types you mentioned can be washed - so why not?
    Thanks! You've got a good point. Wish our area had more classes. The best ones are at least 50 miles away.

  4. #4
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    3,657
    most rayon is not very colorfast so any hint of chlorine will turn it nearly white, I know most of us rarely use chlorine any more but I just learned that fact and haven't had a chance to share it :thumbup:

  5. #5
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,974
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    most rayon is not very colorfast so any hint of chlorine will turn it nearly white, I know most of us rarely use chlorine any more but I just learned that fact and haven't had a chance to share it :thumbup:
    THank you! I almost never use bleach. And if I need too, well, the item is probably already headed for the trash or re-purposing. :)

    I didn't know rayon was so easy to lose its color. I will definitely remember this when washing.

  6. #6
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    12,868
    Blog Entries
    1
    Forgot to mention. Now, I run all of my threads, battings, and assorted sundries over a sample piec just to see how it looks, feels, and behaves. If you do that, you can tug at it, throw it in some hot water, add some laundry soap.....just to test it out.

  7. #7
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,747
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    most rayon is not very colorfast so any hint of chlorine will turn it nearly white, I know most of us rarely use chlorine any more but I just learned that fact and haven't had a chance to share it :thumbup:
    That's kind of interesting. Rayon also picks up loose dye in the wash really easy. I washed a pair of cream colored pillowcases with a set of white sheets with pink roses. I always wash in hot water with bleach and the rayon on the pillowcases picked up the pink out of the wash. It never has come out. It's kind of pretty though, I have cream colored pillowcases with shell pink embroidery.

    They're the only thing I've ever had pick up loose dye in the wash and stay that way.

  8. #8
    LoveBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    102
    That actually sounds really cool! White cases with pink trim...

  9. #9
    Senior Member connie_1936's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    mesa and payson, arizona
    Posts
    806
    Blog Entries
    3
    can't imagine why anyone would bleach a quilt. i mix thread types all the time. my daughter is a pro embroiderer and uses mostly rayon. swim suits do get done in poly.

  10. #10
    newquilter2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    west central illinois
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by knlsmith
    I am getting ready to do a quilt that has applique circles. I have both rayon and poly thread. BUT not all the colors I want in one or the other. Soooo, can I use 2 colors of the rayon and 2 colors of the poly? There is also a little machine embroidery, too.

    I appreciate the help a bunch. New to applique and still learning Mach embroidery.

    P.S. the poly seams as shining as the rayon and I am using oriental prints with shiny gold touches.
    I do alot of applique and I use cotton, poly, and rayon. The only trouble I have is that some of the rayon has a tendancy to break but it isn't so bad that I won't use it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.