Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rayon Thread - Cotton - or Poly???? >

Rayon Thread - Cotton - or Poly????

Rayon Thread - Cotton - or Poly????

Old 05-26-2011, 05:48 AM

I have just completed a queen size quilt and will mostly stitch in the ditch, however, may try something a bit more challenging here and there. Would like to use rayon thread because of its luster and wonderful colors.

LQS told me that rayon thread isn't strong enough to quilt with and that it loses its luster when washed. (They don't sell rayon thread)

What do you recommend out there for a quilt that WILL BE USED!

Thank you for your input -- decision will be made from what you say -- You Are Powerful!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:03 AM

I use the poly cotton thread and really like it.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:19 AM

I use either cotton or poly/cotton....but, if you are looking for the sheen on your project...you can use a poly embroidery thread...that is much stronger than the rayon....
Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I am assuming you will be machine quilting.

There are several polyester threads on the market that have that beautiful lusterous shiny look to them that can absolutely be used for machine quilting these are some of the ones I have and have used.

Isocord embroidery thread
Superior threads Highlights
Superior threads Rainbow (varigated)
Fil-Tec Glide

If you opt for either of the Superior threads make sure you follow their specs for needle size to use and they do NOT like a whole lot of tension so you will most likely have to reduce your tension way down to what you are used to having your machine set at in both top and bobbin. Definitely do some practice pieces with this thread before proceeding with your quilt to get your tensions set otherwise you will have a load of frustration with breakage during sewing.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:33 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I am assuming you will be machine quilting.

There are several polyester threads on the market that have that beautiful lusterous shiny look to them that can absolutely be used for machine quilting these are some of the ones I have and have used.

Isocord embroidery thread
Superior threads Highlights
Superior threads Rainbow (varigated)
Fil-Tec Glide

If you opt for either of the Superior threads make sure you follow their specs for needle size to use and they do NOT like a whole lot of tension so you will most likely have to reduce your tension way down to what you are used to having your machine set at in both top and bobbin. Definitely do some practice pieces with this thread before proceeding with your quilt to get your tensions set otherwise you will have a load of frustration with breakage during sewing.
I quilted my son's boomerang quilt with the Rainbows trilobal polyester. It really shines! But I would suggest using a needle for metallic thread even tho it isn't. I think I used a size 90. I almost gave up on the thread because it kept fuzzing (I was using a size 90 quilting needle) and breaking. Then to go back and secure where it broke so I could start again was horrible because it kept fuzzing. The metallic needle solved all of that. Too bad I didn't get smart until 3/4s of the way through!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:39 AM

I agree that the rayon isn't strong enough - as I'm 3/4 through FMQ with a varigated rayon. It isn't breaking or anything, but I can tell it's not as strong as I'd like. I think I will switch to a poly for the borders becase on a throw, that's the part that will be handled the most.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

silk threads are strong and have a beautiful luster to them too....but the poly's probably have the largest color selections.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl
silk threads are strong and have a beautiful luster to them too....but the poly's probably have the largest color selections.
Yes silk is strong but the luster is lost because it is so fine it tends to sink right into the fibers of the fabric. Leaves beautiful texture but very little sheen. Silk is an ideal choice when you don't want your quilting stitches to show as much but want that great texture or need the fineness to do really small stippling.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I love Isacord thread, but I have never used it for quilting. Gorgeous colors!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Thank you, everyone. I will be buying thread tomorrow. Have never heard of Isacord so will look that up on-line for a future project.