Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? Re: row by row >

? Re: row by row

? Re: row by row

Old 07-14-2016, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
I paid $57.00 for a kit....the embellishment kit of custom buttons were $35.00 of that price. I just about passed out when I was quoted the price. It is a cute row...designed by a professional pattern designer.
sandy
Yikes!!! What's the quilt shop and in what state? I need to see this row. I hope this isn't the beginning of a trend of super expensive row by row quilt kits.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
I get the free patterns. And this year, I was gifted an awesome kit, from my son. It is from Undercover Quilts in Seattle. Their kit is $46.00!! Yikes! It is a laser cut skyline of Seattle. It's gorgeous, but when he told me the price, I about fell over!!

Average kit prices around here are $16-$20.......
Yikes, again! But that is a gorgeous row by row! PLEASE post a pic of yours when you get it done :-).
Old 07-14-2016, 07:31 AM

My home shop is the store that started this whole Row by Row program. This is how it works, each store participating must give you the pattern for free if you request it. Understand it is normally just a line drawing of the quilt row. If you wish you can buy a kit from that store for their row. They are priced at whatever that shop chooses to charge. After participating for a number of years I only buy the kits if it is a really special row and I absolutely love the fabrics used. Some stores do a wonderful job and have difficult pieces that are cut out for you, etc. Some shops I hate the fabrics used and so don't buy the kit. After purchasing all kits the first year, I realized some colors and designs really looked badly with other rows. Normally it doesn't matter, but if you are fussy, or like everything very coordinated then you might not want to buy the kits. Whatever you choose to do, just enjoy yourself. Also you can often buy a fabric license plate from that store with a cute quilting name on it. There are some basic "row by row" fabrics that go great to use for backings and/or between rows also. I bought yards of my favorite fabrics this year to have for purse making and for backing on my quilt. After seeing someone on his board post a picture of a bag she made out of the printed license plates I am collecting more to make myself a big bag for using when I take quilting projects with me when I travel. Just have fun and you don't need to spend any money for the actual patterns if your budget is tight. The whole goal of this program is to get people to visit shops they have never been to before, it's a wonderful way to discover new quilt shops you just might will love!

Last edited by GreatStarter; 07-14-2016 at 07:34 AM. Reason: left word out of sentence
Old 07-14-2016, 07:54 AM

I've seen two shops that have two versions of kits...with adornments and without. Without adornments helps keep the price down.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Hancock of Paducah has a block and a kit for sale on the web site:
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/SHOP...by-Debra-Gabel
I beleive from what I read that the patterns are free. They want you in the shop so you will be tempted to spend your money.
I thought that shops were not allowed to sell their row online until after the end of the hop??? Why are they selling theirs on their website? And they are charging for the pattern alone. I thought those were supposed to be free??