Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Re: Walking foot >

Re: Walking foot

Re: Walking foot

Old 12-21-2010, 08:54 PM

Does anyone else have as much trouble with the quilting foot as I have had. It is an "Alphasew" (or something like that) low shank. The first one I bought in October and it got noisier and noisier until it just stopped working. I brought it back to the sewing shop and he said it was "faulty" He gave me another and tonight I broke three needles while using it. It started clacking and jumping around and finally just looked crooked where the plastic black piece that connects to the machine broke.

Don't they make an all steel one instead of all this plastic junk? Any recommendations for a different brand? Thanks for any suggestions. Pauline
Old 12-21-2010, 09:04 PM

I have had problems with mine also. I have quit using it and started quilting mine free motion. I hate that they make everything out of plastic these days. Things just don't hold up as well. What REALLY gets me are these stupid plastic bobbins. I have broken so many of these and wasted so much thread after the first time I had to wind them. I have gone back to using my moms reliable metal bobbins. I know it's probably not good to use in my machine but I can't keep wasting so much thread.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 PM

What brand of bobbins are you using? I've neven broken any of mine. Are you winding on your machine or using something else?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 PM

I was using the ones for a Brother machine and I wind them on my machine. I get maybe 2 possibly three rewinds before they pop either in the middle or the top pops off as I am taking them off my machine. I do so much sewing every day. I make custom quilts along with making stained glass, mosaics, and wall hangings.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tsanchez
I was using the ones for a Brother machine and I wind them on my machine. I get maybe 2 possibly three rewinds before they pop either in the middle or the top pops off as I am taking them off my machine. I do so much sewing every day. I make custom quilts along with making stained glass, mosaics, and wall hangings.
WOW I have never broken a genuine Brother bobbin and mine get quite the work out .
Old 12-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Power Poster

As for the walking foot - are you sure you have the needle in the correct position ? The correct machine settings ?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:11 PM

Could you have gotten a bad batch of bobbins? Maybe you can exchange the broken ones. I've used the same plastic bobbins on my Pfaff for almost 20 years and have never broken one. I guess you have now given me something to think about when someone mentions prewound bobbins.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:15 AM

prehaps it is winding too tight? I did that with poly thread... now that I wind the bobbins slower I haven't had a problem
Old 12-22-2010, 02:24 AM

I'm on my second walking foot, the first one broke after about a year. Couldnt find anything but the plastic ones. I was told thats all there was because Singer has gotten so cheap.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:50 AM
Banned

are you buying generic walking feet or one made especially for your brand of machine.