Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Re: Walking foot >

Re: Walking foot

Re: Walking foot

Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 AM

Yes, it did work okay for most of the quilt I was SID. Then it started clacking away and breaking needles. What seems to be the problem is that the cheapo plastic that they put on things, well, a chunk of that broke off. Glad I wasn't in the middle. It was not a Kenmore, but I had brought the machine in to a quilt/sewing shop and they fitted it to the machine originally. I am now ordering a Kenmore walking foot which looks in the picture that it has metal "holders" instead of plastic.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:52 AM

I am learning to free motion now, and if my new quilting foot acts up, I will do just free motion. Thanks for that piece of info. I never thought of that.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:26 AM

Husqvarna Walking foot is mostly metal...never had any probelms with it...have it over 4 yrs...pricey though but if you go on ebay you can find them cheaper then in the shops usually 1/2 the price
Old 12-22-2010, 12:54 PM

They break on me all the time. I use the Brother bobbins but I do have an idea why they break on me all the time. All except one the other day, breaks on me after I have wound the bobbin and I'm taking the bobbin off off the little post you put it on to wind it. (Sorry, I have a terrible memory and I can't think of what you call that thing). It acts like it is stuck on the post thing or really tight. So when I pull on it to get it off, it breaks. Now once the other day it broke in the middle while I was winding it. I just don't have any luck with the plastic ones. I have used the metal bobbins since I was in home economics in high school. My mom used the metal ones also.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Thank you Hobbycat. I will check them out one of these days. Right now, mostly what I like to do when quilting is free motion. I'm learning to use templates now.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the info. I went to your Web page and you are soooo talented! I ordered the Kenmore walking foot and should get it in a few days. In the meantime, I started practising free motion. I need much more practice.

I am a new quilter and I am on my second quilt----the one I am working on is a NASCAR quilt for hubby.

My question is: Can you do the SID using a free motion. I did pretty good on a straight line but do I even need to do that? Can you just secure the quilt and do free motion to quilt it and not even do SID? Pauline ...Traverse City, MI
Old 12-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Yeah, I've checked everything. It only breaks when I am winding it. I don't have any problems when sewing.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:55 PM

I have been thinking about those prewound bobbins but I used so many different colors other than black and white. I think it's that post that you put the bobbin on when winding. It just seems to tight.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 PM

I really like doing the free motion myself. I love learning new things so I am teaching myself the decorative stitching using templates. I have to learn to stay on the lines lol.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:05 PM

What I usually do is when I sandwich the top, batting, and backing, I use safety pins about 5 inches apart to secure the quilt so that I can sew it and the layers won't shift. I find that works great for me.