Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ready for borders >

Ready for borders

Ready for borders

Old 05-02-2011, 12:08 PM

I finished my king sized trip around the world. It's ready for borders now. Question is - how do I measure for the borders??? *This thing is huge!* My friend mentioned something about taking three measurements, but I'm uncertain how to proceed. It's longer than the bed, which is ok, it will be more of a bedspread and have pillow room, which my dh actually prefers. The approximate measurements are 115" x 90". How big should I make the borders? Should I do two borders, or is one sufficient for a quilt this large? Or do 2 borders, both the same sized, but only 3" each? (That's kind of/sort of what I'm thinking about.) The squares are 6"
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 PM

Measure from top to bottom on each side and in the center to find out if the sides of the quilt are even. If they all measure the same you can cut a strip for each side and sew the on. Then measure across the top and across the bottom and once across the middle, same thing, if they are the same you can cut your top and bottom strips. Then sew those on. If they turn out to be different measurements you will have to square up the top to make the opposing side and top and bottom match. Apply a second strip all around in the same manner. Good Luck!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:48 PM

Rose L gave you a good tut on how to measure for the border or borders.

If you could post a picture, it would help in deciding whether to do one or two borders, and what sizes.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

I think you are asking more than one question, how long and how wide and how many. Rose L gave a good description on how long you should cut them. Don't just cut a long strip,sew it on and cut off the excess because this is how you get wavy borders. As far as how wide they should be, there's no rule of thumb. I would just lay a couple of fabrics out and audition them for both color and width. If you decide to go with two colors, I personally would make the inner one narrower than the outside one. Just personal preference.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Here are three pictures that give you an idea of what I'm thinking. Now that I have it down this way, I think I'm going to have to go with borders at least 5", anything else would get lost, I think. The third picture is a close up of what I have in mind.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-192051.jpe   attachment-192052.jpe   attachment-192053.jpe  
Old 05-02-2011, 01:36 PM

I like your fabrics for the borders. I would suggest making the inside border 2 to 3 inches, and the outside border a little wider than you square size (6 inch?).

Nice quilt. Well done!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:03 PM

Great fabrics..love the borders that you have picked out... :)
Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 PM

I like the borders, too! I have the 'star' looking fabric, also! Nice work with it!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:51 PM

Do you have enough of the star farric to go wide? I would use a narrow border of the dark - about 1 1/2" to contain the colors in the quilt. Then a wider border - about 6" of the stars for the border. You could come back with the dark for the binding. If you use the stars first, the quilt colors run into the border. I like a 'stopper'.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:16 PM

I would go with what Irishrose has said. I too prefer a stopper. Beautiful quilt.