Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ready to call this one a baller. >

ready to call this one a baller.

ready to call this one a baller.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:41 PM

i just returned to it after leaving it in the box for more than a month! ha!

aileen
Old 03-29-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
we went over a few things, the instructor and i. i am an intermediate quilter, and really pretty careful and accurate most of the time.

she couldn't see anything out of whack in what i brought to her, and she watched me sew and didn't have anything to add. the math adds up in the pattern. maybe it's just one of those things. i really don't know what else to think.

the author is emphatic about accuracy. i have measured every single seam and cut. i am just kind of done with it, but am loathe to give up. the fabrics are beautiful...

it might just end up being different and less than i wanted it to be. i don't know.

aileen
It also might be different and MORE than you wanted it to be. Don't you really prefer to have it be your design anyway? froggyintexas
Old 03-29-2014, 04:17 PM

I was working on quilt several years ago and could not get a segment to work. I put it away. I came back to it at least 2 years later and it was so obvious what I was doing wrong. Maybe you just need to put it down for awhile. I am not suggesting you wait as long as I did. Lol. I hope it works out for you. Gina
Old 03-29-2014, 04:45 PM

Where do you live? Maybe one of us lives close enough to get together with you and see if two brains are better than one. Just a thought.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:47 PM

Did you do a seam allowance test? It really isn't about the *actual* seam allowance. It's what your piece measures on top after it's sewn in. Cut three strips 1.5 inches wide by about 3 or 4 inches long and sew them together on the long side. Press and then measure the center piece on the right side and if it doesn't measure 1 inch you need to adjust your seam allowance or your pressing technique.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:17 PM

i give up. it's going back in the box.

i may draft an alternative to these little tiled pieces. if you want to try to help, it's the frank lloyd wright tree of life quilt.

i cannot for the life of me get those little tiny tiles to line up. or lie flat. or look like anything but a hot mess.

aileen
Old 03-30-2014, 04:30 AM

I feel your pain....this is what I went through with a quilt I was making. I also thought that all my cuts were perfect. A board member showed us her beautiful quilt made with the exact pattern. I finally said the heck with it. Made a whole different quilt with what I had cut. I will show a picture when I am ready. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2014, 05:26 AM

I just read a review of the quilt pattern book that this came from and interestingly, all the good reviews seemed to come from people who loved the book and are planning on making one of the quilts and all the bad reviews seemed to come from people who HAD tried to make a quilt from the book. I don't think it is you. Are all your pieces cut already? If not, maybe stop the frustration and use your material in another quilt or put it all together and enjoy your wonderful fabrics and forget that it is a "Frank Lloyd Wright" quilt. Would love to see pics!
Old 03-30-2014, 05:35 AM

I think you will figure out YOUR interpretation...and you can say you were inspired by Frank. On YOUR timeline..and not another word about not lining up. You MEANT it to be that way. You are a fabric artist and you took artistic liberties!
Old 03-30-2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
i give up. it's going back in the box.

i may draft an alternative to these little tiled pieces. if you want to try to help, it's the frank lloyd wright tree of life quilt.

i cannot for the life of me get those little tiny tiles to line up. or lie flat. or look like anything but a hot mess.

aileen
I think this quilt could spoil quilting for you forever. Put the darn thing away. Do a fun, happy quilt for a child, come back to it. If it isn't clear what is wrong, put a flange in and do the border and don't line it up. OR, donate it to Goodwill - this is probably what I would do.