Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Block Lock Ruler >

Block Lock Ruler

Block Lock Ruler

Old 03-10-2014, 04:03 AM

Default Block Lock Ruler

Has anyone purchased the Block Loc Square Up Ruler? And if so, is it worth the money? Thanks! ~~Ann~~
Old 03-10-2014, 05:18 AM

I have a couple different sizes. I've made a ton of HSTs and it is great for squaring them up. I cup my fabric squares 1/2 to 3/4 inches larger than what I want my finished block to be. That way, I have enough to square up without worry. The Bloc Loc doesn't slide around when you're squaring them. I think it was a good investment!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Yes, IMHO, they are worth every penny! This is the only tool that I've used that gives me perfect HSTs. Although you can use the 6.5" one for smaller triangles, I purchased the set with the 2.5 & 4.5 versions and am glad I did. I have a small turntable cutting mat, so I sew a bunch of patches, press them and then trim them quickly.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I have a set of them. They sure save time.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 AM

I purchased every size they make. For me and my budget it was a big investment, and pondered a few months before I bought. For me, they are worth twice the money. I have tried many techniques to make half squares. For me, this is the best!!!! They are very accurate, they lock into the seam making squaring up very easy. I use HST a lot when making quilts with scraps. I don't think you will regret purchasing them.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM

I prefer the Eleanor Burns Square Up Ruler. There are two sizes -- the smaller works with HSTs smaller than 6-1/2" and the larger one works for up to 9-1/2" (I think). The nice thing about the Square Up Ruler is that you square up your HSTs while they are still folded, so you only have to cut 2 sides.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

I love mine. I hope to get a whole collection. Here is my first attempt using them. If you like making HSTs especially for scrappy quilts this ruler is magic. I was at the NJ Quiltfest show this weekend and purchased the one for half rectangles.. A great tool.
peace

My points are perfect, imho.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]466594[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]466596[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails tr-yvonne-1.jpg   dsc04833.jpg  

Last edited by ube quilting; 03-10-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:58 PM

ube I love your quilt my favorite colors when you put your hst's on point like that how do you measure to get the setting triangles I would love to do that but that setting triangle always stops me.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:16 PM

I have been looking at those rulers too but the price was the only thing stopping me - I keep looking to see if they go on sale.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
ube I love your quilt my favorite colors when you put your hst's on point like that how do you measure to get the setting triangles I would love to do that but that setting triangle always stops me.
There are a lot of size lists out there to give you the proper measurements for setting squares, Do a search and I'm sure you will find one that works for you. Doing on point settings is not hard at all. I have to look up the title of the table I use and will do a posting with it.

I like the method where you cut the setting square big enough to cut the square in quarters and the resulting triangles fit the edges and there is no bias edge on the outside of the quilt.

I have, ( when I don't have enough material) just cut a setting square 2" bigger than the quilt block and just cut it in half. Sew it in place and trim the excess after. This method does have bias edges though.

Hope this helps a little.
peace

EDIT: here is a handy chart to help with on point settings. It is so easy and you get a big quilt real fast!!
An added bonus!

http://www.quiltville.com/onpointmath.shtml

Last edited by ube quilting; 03-14-2014 at 01:18 PM.