Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ready for a Challenge? >

Ready for a Challenge?

Ready for a Challenge?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 AM

Default Ready for a Challenge?

Ok everyone, it is the beginning of march, the year is still new......How many people have tried something new this year yet? Stepped outside your proverbial box? Attempted to master a new skill?

Lets see some of your work.....come on ladies and gents, doesnt have to be a big thing can be a mug rug, or coaster or whatnot.

Here is a shot of a practice piece that I did for my long arm club, the challenge was gridwork. So I stretched my skills in doing different types of grid work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465311[/ATTACH]

So if you havent challenged yourself, do so do a new piecing technique, learn a new pattern, put lime green, dayglo orange and carribean blue together and ENJOY IT! Go for it, step out of the box, see the whole world! Look for the adventure!
Attached Thumbnails img_09951_zpsbac0905b.jpg  

Last edited by CarolynMT; 03-02-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I have challenged myself to finish old projects and start the ones I REALLY want to make for my siblings and their children. I was so busy with charity items in year's past, I just have to get caught up.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:37 AM

I have challenged myself to learn to cut correctly. I hate to cut out quilts because I always mess at least one thing up.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:48 AM

I take part in Project Quilting every year You can find out more about it here http://www.persimondreams.com/project-quilting/season-5 . I LOVE it because there is a new challenge every 2 weeks. Today is " New Challenge Day " so I am anxiously awaiting 1pm to see what it is ! We get 1 week to complete the challenge, then one week off with no challenge. I have pushed myself into trying so many new things I never imagined I would do ! Here are some from this season !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465312[/ATTACH]

My first attempt at painting on fabric !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465313[/ATTACH]

First " Art Quilt " this was not a challenge project, but came about after painting the one above and wanting to try !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465314[/ATTACH]

First DWR - This is done with ALL jellyroll strips and applique ! Totally faked it ! ( this is what inspired the tutorial I posted in the tutorial section here on the board ! )
Attached Thumbnails dscn2548-637x850.jpg   dscn2583-650x487.jpg   quilt-47-i-love-candy-shane-benson-650x487.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 10:26 AM

Fantastic work! You are really stretching yourself to new heights. I love all your projects. I think I would like to try the DWR like yours.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 AM

I'm taking the time to get GOOD and FMQ! Not just passable.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:32 AM

Wow!!!!, you are an inspiration!!! I have tried two new techniques already this year....but I need to learn how to post them!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:38 PM
pw6

wish I had the training to do those, I only have a husvarna mega quilter. but gives me ideas to try on small things like this.. thanks
Old 03-02-2014, 01:23 PM

I'm taking on two challenges this year. I'm doing the red and white quilt featured in the newest AQS magazine. The first two blocks are done. There will be two blocks and the border instructions in each of the next 3 issues. The quilt is rated challenging.

And the next challenge is to start the Dear Jane quilt. I have the book, the software, and all the blog notes printed out. The background fabric is on order (I found a white batik) through my LQS. I've had a hard time deciding what colors to use so finally bout 9 batik fat quarters in various colors and will just take the plunge. Course today I saw one that was all red, green and white and fell in love with that one too!
Old 03-02-2014, 01:30 PM

Training? Who said anything about training? Lol . Every single one of those were " lets see what happens " things lol My feeling is what is the worst that could happen ? That i don't like it? That has seriously never happened lol. If i can look at a project and be able to say ONE good thing about it, it is a win. Even if that one good thing happens to be " well i know what not to do next time " then into the " oh crap i forgot about that " grab and go gift box it goes!